An absorption alternative?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

An absorption alternative?

Postby Doctor Devious » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:33 pm

I've been sketching out a character with some absorption recently and have run into the seemingly typical issues with this power:
1) The PL limit on toughness everywhere else.
2) Despite being based on impervious protection, absorption ignores penetrating (and is thus far superior to normal impervious protection but with the same cost).
3) Every time one absorbs, you can choose either healing/boost - but these are APs, so should only be selectable (once) as a free action in your turn, not as a reaction.

So what to do?

Well, here's my knocked together alternative: which you can feel free to knock the stuffing out of if you so choose!

First up: high level immunity costs (using the "bundled costs less than adding up the bits" approach):
Immunity to physical damage: 30pts
Immunity to energy damage: 30pts
Immunity to physical & energy damage: 50 pts

Absorption type I (standard "reaction" absorption)
Immunity (type) <cost as RAW>
Associated Boost <One trait; standard to reaction +3; Personal only -1; Limited by frequency of incident effect (-0 to -2 flaw by rarity); Boost points limited to lower of boost PL or incident effect's initial rank (-1pp drawback)>

Absorption type II (delayed reaction absorption: boost optional on your turn after effect at cost of move action, and you'll only get one boost no matter how many attacks in the previous round)
Immunity (type) <cost as RAW>
Associated Boost <One trait; standard to move action +1; Personal only -1; Limited by frequency of incident effect in the previous round (-0 to -2 flaw by rarity); Boost points limited to lower of boost PL or incident effect's initial rank (-1pp drawback)>

Obviously, Healing could be substituted for Boost, or as an AP thereof - but I would enforce the free-action required to switch, once-only per round.

So as worked examples:

Sebastian-Shaw
Immunity to physical damage: => 30 pp.
Boost rank 10: (strength) 2pp/rank (-1 rarity: physical-only), -1 drawback => 19 pp.
Total cost 49pp
c.f. standard absorption for physical only at rank 10 => 40pp. More expensive than standard physical-only absorption but he takes no physical damage at all.

Sebastian-Shaw (half immunity)
Immunity to physical damage: half effect: => 15 pp.
Boost rank 10: (strength) 2pp/rank (-1 rarity: physical only), -1 drawback => 19 pp.
Total cost 34pp
c.f. standard absorption for physical only at rank 10 => 40pp. The half effect means he has to save vs toughness on the halved attacks, so some high damage can get through much like standard absorption. So a little cheaper but without healing and freebie-AP-switching.

Sebastian-Shaw (delayed half-immunity)
Immunity to physical damage: half effect: => 15 pp.
Boost on your turn as move action: rank 10: (strength) 1pp/2-ranks (-1 rarity), -1 drawback => 9 pp.
Total cost 24pp
A lot cheaper than standard absorption though with notable (but playable) inferiorities: you have to spend your a move action "pumping up" on your turn and get only one boost per round regardless of number of hits you took (take the highest rank). You could up the cost to 29pp if you went for a free action to pump-up.

One could consider removing the -1 drawback if you let the ranks of multiple incident effects add up (so lots of little hits would get you closer to your PL boost level), though perhaps better to go for highest rank + 2 (an aid) rather than simple addition.
Last edited by Doctor Devious on Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Re: An absorption alternative?

Postby Greyman » Mon Jul 02, 2012 4:22 pm

Generally approved with some quibbles.
Doctor Devious wrote:I've been sketching out a character with some absorption recently and have run into the seemingly typical issues with this power:
Yes. While some of the energy specific character write-ups do break PL limits (eg Captain Thunder) the problem isn't that Absorption ignores PL limits, but that it should not.

But while Absorption does have some other issues, these aren't the problems:
Doctor Devious wrote:2) Despite being based on impervious protection, absorption ignores penetrating (and is thus far superior to normal impervious protection but with the same cost).
Well, technically it doesn't ignore penetrating, since it is built from Impervious Protection. It just wasn't explicitly stated as such in the core rules. It's a lack-of-clarity issue.
Doctor Devious wrote:3) Every time one absorbs, you can choose either healing/boost - but these are APs, so should only be selectable (once) as a free action in your turn, not as a reaction.
No, as written, it's not chosen every time the power works. The choice between which versions is made at character creation. To have both versions they must be purchased as normal alternate powers (requiring free action to switch between them, etc.).

One of the main issue I've found, particularly with specific energy-type absorbers, is that it only absorbs damage, not other effects. A common tazer can take out Captain Thunder (okay, assuming it overcomes his great fortitude). I once proposed basing it on Power Resistance instead, but it was quickly pointed out that using Immunity to Effects would often turn out cheaper and work better to concept.

[Interestingly, in 3E absorption is built as a Reaction, Fades Enhanced Trait often associated with a choice of immunity, deflection, or impervious protection.]

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 1:32 am

Greyman wrote:Generally approved with some quibbles.
Doctor Devious wrote:I've been sketching out a character with some absorption recently and have run into the seemingly typical issues with this power:
Yes. While some of the energy specific character write-ups do break PL limits (eg Captain Thunder) the problem isn't that Absorption ignores PL limits, but that it should not.

My concern here is for a tank with absorbtion (fire) for example.
The tank will no doubt have a high toughness and protection: but In order to allow the tank to have absorbtion (which will stack with their base defenses) their resistance to everything must go down to allow PL headroom for the fire. This can be countered using a split in the base defences where the non-PL section is flawed not to work on fire - but that is basically quite an ugly build.

Greyman wrote:...
Doctor Devious wrote:2) Despite being based on impervious protection, absorption ignores penetrating (and is thus far superior to normal impervious protection but with the same cost).
Well, technically it doesn't ignore penetrating, since it is built from Impervious Protection. It just wasn't explicitly stated as such in the core rules. It's a lack-of-clarity issue.

I'm going by steve's offical Q&A rather than RAW here: see Absorption questions

Greyman wrote:...
Doctor Devious wrote:3) Every time one absorbs, you can choose either healing/boost - but these are APs, so should only be selectable (once) as a free action in your turn, not as a reaction.
No, as written, it's not chosen every time the power works. The choice between which versions is made at character creation. To have both versions they must be purchased as normal alternate powers (requiring free action to switch between them, etc.).

That's a fair cop and a good bit of learning for me! Cheers! :D

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Tue Jul 03, 2012 2:49 am

Greyman wrote:... One of the main issue I've found, particularly with specific energy-type absorbers, is that it only absorbs damage, not other effects. A common tazer can take out Captain Thunder (okay, assuming it overcomes his great fortitude). I once proposed basing it on Power Resistance instead, but it was quickly pointed out that using Immunity to Effects would often turn out cheaper and work better to concept.

I'd agree that immunity is the way to go there. The above absorption system would then change the boost to trigger from any resisted incident effect of the immunity descriptor and you'd adjust the rarity limitation flaw discount to account for the increase in expected frequency (i.e. reduce the rarity-flaw points saving).

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:02 am

Or, alternately, you can always buy Limited Impervious for Toughness or Protection so as to hew closer to the way Absorption is built and/or to cut costs by not having to buy all of those immunities.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”