Celestial Magic?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
SCKnight
Firebrand
Firebrand

Celestial Magic?

Postby SCKnight » Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:27 pm

I'm trying to develop three characters, each with different powers over celestial objects, specifically: the sun, the moon, and the stars. I'm just having trouble figuring out what types of powers to give them. I figure for the sun, light powers would work, like light blasts and maybe a blinding light, but for the moon and stars, it's not so easy.

Any suggestions for these three powers?

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Re: Celestial Magic?

Postby roguescribner » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 am

The moon can effect Earth's gravity, so that might be a way to go. You might stretch that into effects over weather.

Stars... enhanced senses? Maybe go the astrology route and increase psychic awareness of beings and limited precog abillities depending on the constellations. Depending on the PL, the character could assume powers on the which star is prominent in the sky at the time.
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:11 am

The Moon was associated with madness in ancient times (hence "lunatic"), so Confuse, Illusion and Mind Control may fit. It also has power over the tides, so you could try Water Control.

You could riff off some of its symbolism. The changing phases of the moon might represent fluidity and transformation (Morph, Transform, Shapeshift) and its presence could represent hope - a light in the dark to ward off the horrors of the night. Try inventing some for it. maybe in your universe the Moon is really an astral gate to the netherworld, and when it opens fully ghosts can enter into our world. You can then give the character ghost/death-themed powers.

And of course you need to have an Eclipse power (Environmental Control [darkness] with some really huge rank).

Stars are great for making up tons of attacks with impressive-sounding names. ("Starquake! Super Nova!") The character could draw on the properties of different stars, e.g. magnetars (Magnetic Control) or neutron stars (Gravity control, Create Object with Impervious).

For a non-scientific bent you could draw inspirations from astrology or the mythology behind the constellations. The character might draw on Orion's strength or be able to summon a Pegasus. Maybe a huge array with 12 APs, one for each of the zodiac: Sagittarius - Blast; Gemini - Duplication; Taurus - Super Strength etc. If you define "star" loosely enough you might also have powers based on comets: more Blasts, or maybe things like Luck Control, since comets were seen as harbingers of bad or good fortune.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Fri Jun 29, 2012 6:58 am

Some old-school associations might be:

Sun: Life; light; fire
Moon: Dream; emotion; madness
Stars: Knowledge; fate; perception

SCKnight
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby SCKnight » Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:21 pm

Hm...Would Dark powers make sense for Moon magic?

Gravity powers is a great idea. Thanks.

Now, if I did blasts for moon, stars, and sun magics, how would I describe them? I'm using 2nd edition by the way.

Also, plasma control and cosmic energy control seem to work for Star magic, I guess.

Telekinesis works for Moon magic right?

Also, healing seems like a good idea for Sun magic. Hm....Not sure what else to be honest.

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:35 pm

The moon also reflects the light of the Sun, and more broadly, has mirror symbolism. That could provide a basis for mimic powers, deflection/reflection powers (hope you like a taste of your own medicine!) illusion powers (to go with the Lunacy/madness connection) or any powers you want with a Silver theme. Create object, Silverokinesis...

If you want a dedicated blast power, Sun could be Fire, and the Moon would then be Cold, and the Stars would be maybe Gravity, time distortion (the stars we see a from years in the past) or some sort of vacuum blast (there's more space than there is stars).

SCKnight
Firebrand
Firebrand

Postby SCKnight » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:08 pm

Interesting ideas. Any more?

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:00 pm

Where the Moon is Silver, the Sun is often Gold.

Almost all energy on Earth comes from the Sun, in one way or another. If you wanted to stretch it, the Sun could have healing and life powers (plants get energy from the sun, animals get energy from plants, cars get energy from oil which was created by plants...)

Stars could have transmutation powers, as that's what they do. Hydrogen becomes helium, helium becomes lithium and beryllium and so on up until large quantities of Iron, when fusion starts winding down, and everything heavier comes from novae.

A star could have a blast similar to that of the Sun, but where the Sun could have a steady plasma-y burst, the Stars could be a wild area affect for when they go supernova, the Sun being prohibited from doing the same on account of it has yet to go nova itself.

The Moon could have some sort of mechanical jinx power. Moon dust is apparently incredibly abrasive, and special care must be taken that would not be necessary in an atmosphere.

No atmosphere means the moon is mostly at the whim of the sunlight for temperature. "Day" on the moon is about 500 degrees F higher than that of "Night." Also, the moon is tidally locked, so there's radically different geography from the near side to the far side. Basically, the moon has plenty of extreme, and definitely separated parts. Some sort of contrast could be worked. Combine that with the Lunacy aspect, and you could be looking at 2 personalities in one.

The moon could also have stealth abilities. What is on the far side of the moon is ALWAYS on the far side, and fairly effectively hidden. And a new moon itself is entirely concealed by the Earth.

The Sun could have some sort of observation power, using sunlight to reveal... whatever, hidden things, dangers, the sorts of stuff that have always made humanity more comfortable in the day rather than the night.

SCKnight
Firebrand
Firebrand

Moon Reflection?

Postby SCKnight » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Hm...How would I put Moon Reflection/deflection?

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Deflect is a power in the core rule book, with Reflection being a +1 extra on top of that. If you have Ultimate Power, there's also a (in my opinion, prohibitively expensive) Reflection Field that costs 8 points a rank. Though you can flaw that down as you like.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”