Limited in an array

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
BannerMan
Groupie
Groupie

Limited in an array

Postby BannerMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:37 pm

Someone Posted this one in the official questions one but has not recieved an answer yet:

Say I have this:

Container: Weapon systems 30
26 Rocket propelled muscles(Enhanced Strength 15, Extended Reach 8, Improved grap, Grapple & Pin)
1 *Blast 12(Particle Beams[Improved range x1, Precise])
1 *Grappling hooks(Snare 10[Tether, Accurate x1])
1 *Flares(Dazzle Visual 10 [No range -1, Burst +1])
1 *Plasma Cutter(Corrosion 8[Accuratex2])

And I wanted to add another weapons system that has unreliable limited to 5 shots to it.

I think its ok from a rules point of view but I´m not sure how to tackle it as a player or gm any thoughts?
War is a Grave affair of state; It is a place Of life and death, A road To survival and extinction, A matter To be pondered carefully.

My characters

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Limited in an array

Postby kenseido » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:39 pm

I believe if you but Unreliable (5 uses) on a AP, then only that AP is affected. Have seen it done with other powers.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

BannerMan
Groupie
Groupie

Postby BannerMan » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:44 pm

cool, thanks :)
War is a Grave affair of state; It is a place Of life and death, A road To survival and extinction, A matter To be pondered carefully.

My characters

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:43 pm

Remember though, that the rule of thumb is: If it is not a real limitation it doesn't earn the discount.

Consider the case of a character with Blast 10 [AP: Blast 10 (Burst-Area, Limited to 5 uses)]. You have a hero who can blast away safely every turn but at a cost of one power point, can blast at the same intensity over a wide area; five times a session.

Is that anywhere near as limited as just having Blast 10 (Burst-Area, Limited to 5 uses) on its own? Where you have a hero who can only use wide area damage five times a session.

What's a limitation on a lone power--or on a whole array--might only be worth a drawback when just applied to a single alternate power.

roguescribner
Paragon
Paragon

Postby roguescribner » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Isn't it true that if one power in an array is exhausted/nullified/whatever they all are? So yeah, you can use the other effects without the 5 use limitation all you want, but as soon as you take that fifth use all the powers in the array are exhausted until you recharge. Correct?
GM - Age of Heroes Chapter 2
Sarvak - The Injustice Gang

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:37 pm

roguescribner wrote:Isn't it true that if one power in an array is exhausted/nullified/whatever they all are? So yeah, you can use the other effects without the 5 use limitation all you want, but as soon as you take that fifth use all the powers in the array are exhausted until you recharge. Correct?
Yes, it's true that if one power in an array is disabled, all of them are. However, that's an interpretation that still allows the player to simply avoid that fifth usage and suffer no penalties on alternate powers.

BannerMan
Groupie
Groupie

Postby BannerMan » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:24 pm

So a houserule of sorts allowing 1-3 uses instead of 4.

But I suppose there are other ways around this sort of thing Distracting and a change to full round action come to mind.

In any case thanks for helping me out :D

My characters

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:58 am

My ruling would be a flat no.
Unreliable within an array would be discounted as a drawback, not a flaw IMO.
And even then, I wouldn't allow more than one such power in the array.

You can see several discussions on this topic elsewhere: pretty much every time the prevailing opinion is "no". On the other side of the coin, it has been done a lot in the roll call forum, so some people obviously like it (as they should: its a massive points saving for very little limitation).

Examples of other threads discussing this concept(there are quite a lot out there):
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43548&p=986055&hilit=unreliable+array#p986055
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=36366&p=672316&hilit=unreliable+array#p671825

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:01 pm

I would make it apply to the whole array, or, if it just applies to one power, it would be, at most, a drawback.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”