Plasma Control Question

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Flicker182
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Plasma Control Question

Postby Flicker182 » Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:59 pm

Of course, but in this case shapeable and selective attack is very malleable. In this case, she can choose how she attacks when she's using a plasma control blast by not only having it in a straight direction but also, if she so chooses, for it to go in different directions as long as they all are touching. She could technically have it go in a defensive line horizontally from her hands extended as far as she needs it to go. As much as selective attack doesn't sound like it should be allowed for plasma control (which I'm going over my head wondering if I should even allow it to be taken with this power now as an extra) is to allow her some leeway as a player.

She's not terribly bold when it comes to RPGs and if I allow her this it may make her time a little more enjoyable as opposed to making her more tentative during game sessions and thus having her retreat as a player in the game. She tends to be quiet and passive, without much input into games usually at all. She's seen enough of them at this point, but she just hasn't grown as a player.

The other power she's interested in is dimensional control. I thought that she might have a harder time with that as the array is a little bit harder and it is a more complex power in my mind compared to plasma control. As a player that's already tentative I think she might retreat more during the game if she's not only unfamiliar with the power but she also feels as though there isn't much she can do with it. While I am also having a hard time describing the uses of the power I do want her to pick what intrigues her most and not just go with what I understand the best.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:30 pm

kenseido wrote:My understanding is that an AP takes up all the points in the array, where as a DAP is adjustable.

So while you can mix Dynamic with non-Dynamic, if you activate a non-Dynamic power, no other powers can be used.

Greyman wrote:Exactly. An alternate power is all or nothing. If an array is set to one, it cannot share points, even if it does not use all available.

Points can only be distributed between two, or more, dynamic alternate powers.

Got it, thanks!
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:27 pm

Flicker182 wrote:Of course, but in this case shapeable and selective attack is very malleable. In this case, she can choose how she attacks when she's using a plasma control blast by not only having it in a straight direction but also, if she so chooses, for it to go in different directions as long as they all are touching. She could technically have it go in a defensive line horizontally from her hands extended as far as she needs it to go. As much as selective attack doesn't sound like it should be allowed for plasma control (which I'm going over my head wondering if I should even allow it to be taken with this power now as an extra) is to allow her some leeway as a player.
Shapeable, Selective Attack is a totally valid concept for Plasma Control. Think: Dancing Flames. She's not just generating blasts of plasma, she's directing the arcs to dance through the area--flaring here, squeezing through there--so they'll miss allies and bystanders (well, those she can perceive).

Flicker182
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Flicker182 » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Greyman wrote:Shapeable, Selective Attack is a totally valid concept for Plasma Control. Think: Dancing Flames. She's not just generating blasts of plasma, she's directing the arcs to dance through the area--flaring here, squeezing through there--so they'll miss allies and bystanders (well, those she can perceive).

Okay, I was thinking of plasma in a different manner for some reason. I thought it was a more bonded liquid than a more free gas for some reason. I know it says gas but I guess I was looking at plasma swords as an example of what is being blasted in plasma control.

Thanks for the suggestions, it's been very helpful. I might come back and ask about dimensional control if she decides she wants that instead of plasma control. Thanks for the help.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”