Discount for descriptors with limited applicability?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Umbral Reaver
Bystander
Bystander

Discount for descriptors with limited applicability?

Postby Umbral Reaver » Sun May 27, 2012 4:32 pm

Would you let a player have some manner of discount on powers that use the 'poison' descriptor? It's a 1 point immunity that an extremely large proportion of creatures and characters seem to have.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Discount for descriptors with limited applicability?

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon May 28, 2012 4:33 am

FWIW, some official words on poison immunity.

Personally, I'd say no. Yes, Immunity (poison) shows up fairly often despite it being priced as a "very rare" descriptor. Personally, I'd be more inclined to increase the cost if it seemed that it was more prevalent in your world.

Umbral Reaver
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Umbral Reaver » Mon May 28, 2012 4:41 am

A standard 'poison blast' (i.e. ranged damage 10 poison descriptor) would only work on living targets susceptible to poison. There doesn't appear to be a 'does not affect objects' limitation for powers that normally work on both living targets and objects/constructs.

I suppose that's a setting-dependant limitation. If the heroes battle robots and poison-immune creatures fairly often, then some kind of 'Captain Poison' is going to have a sad time.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon May 28, 2012 6:01 am

Actually, poison blasts don't automatically not harm inanimate objects, even in comics. :) I've seen issues where people splash their "poison gas attack" on walls and melt holes in it, part of the whole Poison is Corrosive setup in pop culture.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”