Benefit (legally dead)?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Benefit (legally dead)?

Postby Bwgustaf » Fri May 18, 2012 8:01 pm

What exactly does this benefit do for the character? I see it in some iron age build and i understand the concept, but what does the feat actually do (besides removing paper trails, establishing wills, etc.)?

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Benefit (legally dead)?

Postby Inviktus » Fri May 18, 2012 9:48 pm

Bwgustaf wrote:What exactly does this benefit do for the character? I see it in some iron age build and i understand the concept, but what does the feat actually do (besides removing paper trails, establishing wills, etc.)?

My first thought is it sounds more like a complication than a benefit.

Being declared dead severs your rights to use the advantages and assets of an identity.

It won't stop law enforcement or enemies looking for you, unless they think you are actually dead, which they can do regardless of your legal status.

As for new crimes, debts, enemies, it would be something of an advantage for them to not know your identity, but that just circles back to a classic secret ID.

They /might/ think it protects loved ones from discovery and retaliation, but unless you've hidden your face, worn gloves and/or altered your DNA, the fiction of your death will be exposed pretty quickly. Again this circles back to a secret identity.

*Update: I looked it up in Iron Age and also did a search for the term on ATT. When used as a benefit it seems to be tossed onto sheets without any depth of explanation. The one detailed treatment I found treated it as expected, a complication for some character named Slag.

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=35722&start=30

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”