Rules mechanics for 'vampires'

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Neopopulas
Bystander
Bystander

Rules mechanics for 'vampires'

Postby Neopopulas » Tue May 15, 2012 2:30 am

While i found one or two examples of vampires, they were a bit to specific in most cases, so i thought i would ask and see if anyone had any suggestions for a couple of mechanics.

Firstly, i was thinking of a general Boost, to boost all powers, such as strength, regeneration, things like that. However, drinking blood like that seems like it could be tricky, and i was thinking basically to have it require a strike (grapple)

Is it as simple as making something like Boost - All Powers (Flaw: Requires Grapple)?

Then it would require you to have already grappled something the round before. Is there a way to make it so you could get that strike/grapple beforehand (because, after all, you have to grab hold and bite to get the boost in the first place). The only thing i can think of is Improved Grab ( i believe) that allows you to get a free grapple when you hit with an attack, but that would only allow you to grapple, would you still have to wait for the next round for the boost to kick in?

I think that basically takes care of the most important 'vampire quality' being the blood drinking, since boost can boost all the powers, so physical powers as well as regeneration.

I was wondering also about the 'requirement' for blood. I had thought about making an immunity to starvation and thirst if they drink blood, but i was also trying to think of a good way to show an 'addition' to blood. So they could survive without it, obviously, but are much better with it (boost and so on), but i don't want it to end up killing them if they don't. Would a Complication be best? Since actual drawbacks can be a little too harsh sometimes.

TLDR; Best way to make the 'drink blood, get boosted' vampire concept, and best option for 'really liked to drink blood but doesn't have to' concept.?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Rules mechanics for 'vampires'

Postby kenseido » Tue May 15, 2012 4:41 am

I think maybe a Power Reserve with a Power Loss Drawback, or Fades Flaw on it, recovers when drinks blood.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue May 15, 2012 5:32 am

Technically speaking, Grapple Required triggers an action once you make the grapple roll, so that could work. The Boost isn't necessarily a bad way to handle the abilities going up. A Power Loss of (must have drunk blood within 24 hours) can work nicely. If you actually want to take something out of your target, you may look at Transfer, which is a mildly handwaved Linked Drain/Boost which does not have to be symmetrical.

Neopopulas
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Neopopulas » Tue May 15, 2012 7:31 am

Hrm. So say you have a Boost [Flaw: Grapple], and then you have Improved Grapple (maybe its improved grab? i think so), this lets you get a free grapple any time you hit the target. And the grapple triggers the boost, this means you get A) damage (chomp chomp) and then B) The boost (drinky drinky).

This would then boost all the powers (so basically enhanced strength, regeneration, etc) so physically he becomes enhanced, and heals at the same time. That sounds like a good option, a little complicated but not overly so.

I wonder if there is a way to make something like Addiction cumulative. For example, so far i'm building it in a sort of 'vampire traits' sort of way. They aren't technically the undead, or anything like that. And don't need to drink blood to survive. Drinking blood grants them bonuses (Immunity to starvation and thirst, and the Boost), however, the idea would be to NOT do that all the time, its more of a 'if you absolutely have to' and doing it more often makes resisting doing it again even harder.

This seems like more of an RP sort of thing, but i'm not terribly familiar with things like complications and drawbacks and those sorts of more specific mechanics so i was wondering if there was a mechanic that could simulate a sort of growing addiction.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue May 15, 2012 7:36 am

The only problem with that solution is it doesn't account for other sources of blood. Now if your intention is to only give them the boost from drinking "live" blood, mechanically it should be okay. But if they can drink blood from a bottle or a bag and get the same results, then something has to be handwaved for that to work.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Neopopulas
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Neopopulas » Tue May 15, 2012 7:28 pm

Good point, that's something i didn't consider. I wouldn't have a problem with only being able to drink 'live' blood but it is something i will probably have to bring up with the GM

On the other hand, since it comes with a boost, i'd rather not just be able to carry bags of blood around as a way to boost anyway.

I'm thinking i might end up just having to run the blood addiction as RP, since its really hard to have a mechanic that is 'resist drinking blood because its awesome' without constantly having the addiction up, since the addiction never fades out, its always there at the same static strength as always. I suppose addiction doesn't always impose a penalty, you just get a hero point when it does, but there is nothing mechanically that increases the difficulty to resist by how often you do something, i don't think anyway.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed May 16, 2012 1:48 am

Being at work I can't check this, but I had the sudden idea that something along the lines of the mechanics for power surge (in Ultimate Power) could possibly work for a vamp: suitable blood being required as the reset mechanism. If not eventually reset, the character's powers (and potentially eventually the character) go out of control.

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Fri May 18, 2012 4:18 am

It might be worth setting it as an Alternate Form style container that has your extra immunities, enhanced abilities and any other powers or feats that require the grapple (blood) to activate, modify the duration and add something like total fade to represent the limited time the form can be maintained without feeding again.
Nothing is Everything

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”