Breaking Created Objects

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Incredible Sulk
Bystander
Bystander

Breaking Created Objects

Postby Incredible Sulk » Thu May 10, 2012 1:39 pm

Another quick question. What happens to a created object when its Toughness reaches +0. Does it become Disabled, Destroyed? Or simply continue to operate at +0 Strength until either effect is achieved?

I ask because both Paper and Soil have +0 Toughness listed as their relative Strengths at 1 inch thickness.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Breaking Created Objects

Postby Inviktus » Thu May 10, 2012 4:33 pm

Incredible Sulk wrote:Another quick question. What happens to a created object when its Toughness reaches +0. Does it become Disabled, Destroyed? Or simply continue to operate at +0 Strength until either effect is achieved?

I ask because both Paper and Soil have +0 Toughness listed as their relative Strengths at 1 inch thickness.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Strength" in this context. However, if you are talking about being damaged, an object isn't disabled until it fails it's save by 10. Being "injured" just makes that more likely to happen.

Incredible Sulk
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Incredible Sulk » Thu May 10, 2012 4:51 pm

Strength meaning Potency, i.e. continues operating at +0 Toughness until Disabled and/or Destroyed. Essentially functioning until something punches through.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu May 10, 2012 8:18 pm

Incredible Sulk wrote:Strength meaning Potency, i.e. continues operating at +0 Toughness until Disabled and/or Destroyed. Essentially functioning until something punches through.

And, as noted above, it stops functioning as an object to brace/stop things when it fails a save by 10. Failure by 10 means there's a big hole punched in it. Failure by 15 essentially means it ceases to exist.

It does mean you have the continued artifact from d20 that a sheet of paper will stop a bullet or an arrow dead, but that's what Rule 0 is for.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Inviktus » Thu May 10, 2012 10:38 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:It does mean you have the continued artifact from d20 that a sheet of paper will stop a bullet or an arrow dead, but that's what Rule 0 is for.

It would seem reasonable in most cases to subtract the object Toughness from the attack's damage rank and allow the difference to pass through. Assuming someone is using the weak object as cover.

An object being disabled generally represents a substantial amount of destruction. An example would be standard car glass windshields. Shooting bullets through it would leave small holes and still do about the same damage to persons sitting in the car, but you could not crawl into the car until you bashed a good sized hole in the windshield.

If the windshield completely saved vs a bullet attack, then the angle was bad and the bullet ricocheted off without making any size hole.

Incredible Sulk
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Incredible Sulk » Fri May 11, 2012 12:27 am

In my scenario, I had a group of thugs opening up with two shotguns and two submachineguns on a hero's force construct (+6 Toughness). They managed to bring the thing down to +3 Toughness in one round using the take 10 rule for Object Saves, 20 vs 16 twice and then another 20-21 vs reduced potency.

This next round, in lieu of reducing it further (until I had some kind of ruling), I simply had the two thugs still standing open up with their shotguns as a Break Object (Full-round) Action. Their end results were two Diabled results (20 vs 8 Toughness) i.e. two holes blown into the construct. Another group of thugs rushed up and started opening up with their submachineguns, but I gave the hero inside a Cover Bonus due to the size of the holes and stuff inside possibly serving as deterrents for their bullets.

This sound about right to you all? Or am I handling the construct's protection wrong?

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Postby Inviktus » Fri May 11, 2012 12:45 am

I would be concerned about allowing them to use the easier break object rules if they are being attacked while doing so.

Alternatively, if you did allow it, they should be flat-footed during their full round action.

Having the object still provide partial cover seems reasonable. At least until it reaches the destroyed condition, when it might very well fall to rubble.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”