Talks with ghosts?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
vader17
Bystander
Bystander

Talks with ghosts?

Postby vader17 » Sun May 06, 2012 11:34 am

Ok, i want to make a character for a mystic freedom city game. The concept is a medium, talks to ghosts. What super senses, communications skills do you guys recommend? Astral form, ESP?

I think my concept will be based on the benefits of befriending or bindind ghosts. For example, say he befriends a ghost of a long dead samuri, the samuri could teach him the use of the sword and maybe offer advice when dealing with asian themed threats. By befriending the ghost of an alchemist, maybe he could gain access to secrets that would allow him to create a philosophers stone.

On the other hand by binding the ghost of the samuri, he could use the actual ghosts combat abilities. I've got alot of decissions to make :(

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Re: Talks with ghosts?

Postby Rabbitman » Sun May 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Your suggestions of new powers learned from ghosts is going to need some version of a Variable power, and personally I tend to avoid builds that rely on Variable powers, but as for the actual communication with Ghosts?

Comprehend 1 (Spirits) 2pp

You can communicate with incorporeal and normally
invisible and inaudible spirit beings, such as ghosts or certain
extradimensional entities, depending on what beings exist in
the context of the setting. One rank essentially allows you to
function as a “medium” of sorts, speaking to spirits and com-
prehending their replies. However, you do not gain any ability
to summon or compel spirits. At the GM’s discretion, this effect
may extend to undead creatures, demons, or other supernatu-
ral entities, depending on the setting.

That ought to do it!
Nothing is Everything

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun May 06, 2012 3:16 pm

Outside of Variable, there's also Alternate Form. Build APs for the most common ghosts he draws upon. Later ones become extra effort or are bought as he gains points.

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Sun May 06, 2012 3:35 pm

If it was for one of my players I'd recommend exactly that Fuzzy, I much prefer different powers based on Ghosts assumed to have already been "learned from" than a blank canvas with Variable sitting there waiting to meet a Ghostly mentor.
Nothing is Everything

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cochramd » Sun May 06, 2012 5:20 pm

I'd recommend the Connected, Contacts and Well-Informed feats. Men who talk to the dead have a very large, if unusual, information network potentially at their fingertips.

vader17
Bystander
Bystander

Postby vader17 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:37 pm

cochramd wrote:I'd recommend the Connected, Contacts and Well-Informed feats. Men who talk to the dead have a very large, if unusual, information network potentially at their fingertips.

Yes, i was thinking exactly the same thing!

I also have been toying around with the idea of using the summons and possession powers as in summoning ghost minions and having them possess enemies, maybe do my spying for me.

So heres another question
Can you use the enhance ability power to pick up feats, extra skill ranks, maybe a specific power to show a buff from a particular ghost and then make alternate powers off that power? So say i'm getting help from my samurai ghost buddy who gives me a few ranks in feats and a boost to a few skills, say 10pps worth. Then i switch to my wild west gunslinger ghost buddy who gives me some ranks in the quick draw, attack focus ranged, improved initiative, precise shot etc. 10pps worth. Say he knows 6 or 7 ghosts he can call on in this way so that would be 5 or 6 alternate powers based on the initial bond with the 1st ghost. As he meets more ghosts that he can bond with, he just buys more alternate powers. Does that sound ok or is it against the rules? How would i go about creating that power?

vader17
Bystander
Bystander

Postby vader17 » Sun May 06, 2012 5:44 pm

Rabbitman wrote:Your suggestions of new powers learned from ghosts is going to need some version of a Variable power, and personally I tend to avoid builds that rely on Variable powers, but as for the actual communication with Ghosts?

Comprehend 1 (Spirits) 2pp

That ought to do it!

OK, sounds good, now he can talk to and hear them thats cool but i kinda wanted to be able to see them too when others cannot. Like the kid in The Sixth Sense movie. How would you handle that, Super Senses Spirit Sight? Just make up a name for it?

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Sun May 06, 2012 5:53 pm

I don't see any problem with it, you're basically wanting to make an Array of Containers, which is to say you want Alternate Powers that are also Containers coming off a base Container rather than just a single effect power.

What FuzzyBoots was saying about Alternate Form is essentially this exact concept (Alternate Form is a Container style power)

It might look something like this for example:

Ghost Skills (Samurai){ Enhanced feats: Attack Focus (Melee) 3, Defensive Roll 2, Dodge Focus 2, Evasion, Improved Disarm, Improved Takedown (10pp)}
AP: Ghost Skills (Gunslinger) {Enhanced feats: Accurate Attack, Attack Focus (Ranged) 4, Improved Aim, Improved Initiative 2, Precise Shot, Quick Draw (1pp)}

Which would give you two alternate sets of Enhanced feats to switch between as with a normal array, for a total cost of 11pp.

EDIT: Super Senses 2 (Vision: Counters Concealment) 2pp
That allows you to see people/things that are invisible, whether you want to talk to your GM about limiting it to spirits only is up to you.

EDIT 2: The description of Comprehend I copied over specifically mentions invisibility, so I'm not 100% sure if you would need the Super Senses in addition...
Nothing is Everything

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun May 06, 2012 6:27 pm

It's worth noting that, if the GM goes for it, you may be able to make the forms Dynamic Alternate Powers so that you could mix and match parts of them.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Sun May 06, 2012 7:03 pm

Another option depending on whether the ghost controls you or you control the ghost might be metamorph. You open yourself to the spirits and they totally control you then leave after a while. There are funny complications you could add in, like they are basically hostile to you.

Another way, depending on how long it took might just be ritualist. If you discuss it with your GM they might be relaxed with the idea of you using the same spirit more than once you don't have to redo the knowledge:arcane roll.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

vader17
Bystander
Bystander

Postby vader17 » Sun May 06, 2012 7:15 pm

Great ideas! You guys gave me alot to think about, thanks so much for the help. I let you know what i end up with.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”