Illusion feats

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
infinitylantern
Bystander
Bystander

Illusion feats

Postby infinitylantern » Thu May 03, 2012 2:47 pm

Is there a feat, or a creatable one, for Illusion that makes the illusion unique to the person without having mind reading. Example: I (Illusionist) creates an illusion that Bill sees that his wife is leaving him. Without seeing his wife before would there be a mind reading feat that can have me pull the image of his wife from his head so it makes the illusion more believable to the victim?

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Illusion feats

Postby cochramd » Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 am

Not that I know of. I would also debate whether or not this could be a feat.

Default Mind Reading is 1 point per rank, and 'Limited to information needed to enhance illusions' is probably a -3 modifier, so that's 1 point per 4 ranks. However, it's a standard move to get surface thoughts and mind probe (which is what you'd need unless Bill was conveniently thinking about his wife at the time) is a full round action. I'm not sure how fast you want to get your information, but I suspect that you want to do it as a free action. That's a +3 Action modifier, unless you're content with only making illusions about what's on Bills mind at the moment, in which case it's a +2 Action modifier. That means 1 point only gets 1 or 2 ranks of Mind Reading. Not a bad price by any means, but you can't spend only 1 point and expect to use it against enemies of approximate, equal or greater PL with regular success...well, unless that one point is to make it an AP of another power.

I don't recall much mixing of mind reading and illusions going on in comicbooks....and when it was mixed, it was often a phantasmal illusion that played on the victim's fears or trapped them in a utopic paradise, leading me to believe that it would be better represented by a Phantasmal Illusion (possibly with Uncontrolled) plus a Limited Emotion Control, or by GM fiat, since escaping the illusion was often an adventure in itself. Substitute in Morph or Shapeshift for Illusion and you've got the related family of things that change into whatever you fear most, or whatever would appeal to you the most, etc.

infinitylantern
Bystander
Bystander

Postby infinitylantern » Fri May 04, 2012 7:56 am

Thank you, that answer was exactly the type of response I was looking for. I try to come up with original power ideas but it's hard when I'm not as good with the rules as I would like to be. I think making it an AP would make the most sense and I'll make it cost a couple so that way it's still fair. I'm GMing my first game soon and I used to do DND 2nd about a decade ago. We have been playing Pathfinder and I figure I'll do it fast and loose and if there is anything we either look it up or fill in gaps with pathfinder rules.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Fri May 04, 2012 10:51 am

There's a possibility that Transform (mental) could achieve that sort of effect: not an illusion as such, but a temp. false belief being implanted in the victim.

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Fri May 04, 2012 11:50 am

Or mind control if you want to have your illusion encourage a specific action on behalf of Bill, and just describe it as an illusion.

Willow Wolfe
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Willow Wolfe » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:07 am

In the power profile illusion book they include an extra (+1/rank) that does just this. Its the 'Psychic' extra.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Apr 16, 2013 6:47 am

Willow Wolfe wrote:In the power profile illusion book they include an extra (+1/rank) that does just this. Its the 'Psychic' extra.

:) Admittedly, that's a 3E book, but it can work. It's essentially a Linked Mind Reading that's limited to fueling the illusion. Here's the OGC:

Psychic:You can “tailor” Illusions with this modifier, creating just what the subject expects to perceive. In particular, this power lets you create illusions based on information known to the subject but not to you, such as the voice or appearance of a loved one, or the impression that you have proper documentation or authorization in-hand. Treat the modifier rank as a Mind Reading rank and make an opposed check (modifier rank versus target’s Will) to determine the degree of information. You can only “read” information from a subject in order to create an illusion, although you could potentially (with the right illusion power) create projected “shows” of a subject’s thoughts or memories. A well-placed illusion generally grants a circumstance bonus for related skill checks, particularly interaction skills, and may void the need for a check altogether in some circumstances (such as appearing to be an authorized person or carrying the proper ID). +1 cost per rank

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”