A couple of general questions

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Sullen
Bystander
Bystander

A couple of general questions

Postby Sullen » Wed Apr 11, 2012 10:59 pm

I read through most of the Official Rules Questions & Answer though I still find myself with a few questions or hazy areas. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated.

1.) I have some confusion regarding Arrays (I'm using Ultimate Power for them). Can you put any powers into an Array? Or are there some kind of specific limits on what types of powers are allowed? A player of mine wants to create a time power based array for our first game. He wants to have Time Control, Time Stop, and possibly some other powers in it. What I'm confused about is say he wanted to put a totally unrelated power in the Array.. like Time Control, Time Stop, Flight. Is this allowed or do the powers have to be vaguely similar in some way? Or do they have to be specifically listed as Alternate Powers under a base power in order to be included?

2.) The Array rules, and the post on this forum clarifying Array's found in the previous mentioned Official Rules Questions & Answers post say that you cannot ignore the extras & flaws of any power in the Array. How exactly does this work? I'm totally confused here because if you are applying all the extras and flaws all at once that makes no sense. Say I have Snare in an array for example, the extras and flaws are numerous (backlash, blocks sense, engulf, regenerating, transparent, entangle) it doesn't seem like it would make much sense to have to manifest all of these at once while using a power in an array.

3.) I'm somewhat confused about PL limits in regards to certain things. Especially the damage of attacks. Lets say a character maxes his strength bonus at PL 10 (to +15) when he hits someone with an unarmed attack he will do 15 damage correct? This exceeds 10, so is the damage of an attack not capped in any way by power level? I'm further confused by this in regard to melee weapons, which add bonus damage onto your melee damage. However, I checked the 'Mighty' feat as the book suggested and it seems to indicate that damage is capped by PL in some way. If this is the case then what is the point of buying strength up to +15 if the cap would be 10? Or using a melee weapon with high strength if it essentially adds nothing?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: A couple of general questions

Postby kenseido » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 am

1. Arrays SHOULD be related groups of powers, but I am not aware of specific rules regarding this. Permanent powers may not be part of an array.

2. The Extras aand Flaws referenced are the ones you have already assigned to the power in that slot of the array, not all the available Extras and Flaws the power could potentially have. I think the reference is to Dynamic arrays. If you have a slot with Penetraintg Blast on it, you can not ignore the Penetrating to get a higher Blast with the points you put into it.

3. Strength is one stat who falls under two PL restrictions (Constitution is the other). Abilities are limited to PL+5, but since Strength does damage, it is treated as a Power and is limited to PL. The total damage from any attack can not exceed PL. So if you have a power with the Power Feat Mighty, the total damage bonus of the Power and the Strength modifier can not exceed PL.

The exception to this rule is with trade offs. You can trade off points of attack for damage, or vice versa. So in a PL10 game, you can have +10 Attack and +10 Damage, or +8 Attack and +12 Damage, or +12 Attack and +8 Damage. Generally trade offs are limited to 1/2 PL, so in the PL10 game, the maximum allowable trade off is +15 Attack and +5 Damage or +5 Attack and +15 Damage. Attack trade offs only apply to powers that require a "to hit" roll. So General Area Effects and Range Perception powers are restricted to PL, period.

So can similarly trade off betwen Defense and Toughness.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Bladewind » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:51 am

The other note I would add is in regard to the first question.

You can have any power in an array so long as the power point total does not exceed the base power's power point total.

That's the mechanics of an array.

I think the actual question is answered by stating that powers in an array should be somehow related by a similiar theme.

Time related powers in an array make sense. Said array can also be used to include Speed effects as they fit thematically. Justifying a blast power in the array is a bit of a stretch unless said blast is perhaps a Chronal Blast and causes damage by aging an item (in which case other powers can be justified.)

Off the top of my head though, I don't see a ready/ plausible explanation to add flight to a Time based array.

Then again, my second edition Superman builds have his visual sense powers in the same array as his heat vision so I'm not really one to talk when it comes to tight themes for arrays. 8)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:42 am

All items in an array should be from "the same source" if for no other reason than that, if one power in the array is nullified, they all are. Past mechanical and play balance issues, bundling unrelated abilities into an array may mean that someone turns off your heat vision and also takes out your ability to play piano. :) Or vice versa.

For quick access to a lot of the ORQ answers, Elric's thread is also pinned at the top of the forum. It's got a link to an excellent post on arrays that explains most of the complications thereof. It's also got a few other interesting links such as discussions on how to build appropriate encounters and a link to an explanation from Steve Kenson on why the damage save has a base of 15.

Postscript: Oh, and Ultimate Power opened up permanent powers being in an array or container with the caveat that the GM should oversee all such uses to be sure they're not abusive.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”