Hero based on Involuntary Transformation

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
JimHart
Bystander
Bystander

Hero based on Involuntary Transformation

Postby JimHart » Sun Apr 08, 2012 9:24 am

I have a player wanting to build a hero who involuntarily transforms between two superhero forms. One form is your prototypical Human Torch style. The other your prototypical Iceman style. How is this built?

I understand the Involuntary Transformation drawback and it's trigger. But in constructing the two forms are they created as two separate arrays of powers? That seems like it will be very expensive (power points) to pull off. Especially since they never get the benefit of both arrays. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Bladewind
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Hero based on Involuntary Transformation

Postby Bladewind » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:30 am

Although some people will not like the idea, I would have to separate character sheets.

Keep in mind you will be having 2 characters for the price of 1.

Either that, or even more simply, everything with the fire descriptor gains the ice descriptor when the complication kicks in and vice versa...

Tryptic
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Tryptic » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:08 am

Hmmm. I recommend you follow the rules for Alternate Form and keep two separate character sheets for quick reference.

I would present him with a hypothetical situation: he is attacked by a fire user that his fire form is immune to but his ice form is weak against. If, in this situation, he would prefer to be in the fire form, count it as the -1/r uncontrolled flaw. If the GM is more likely to transform him to ice, count it as -2/r. It's all about how mean you're going to be to him.

Also remember that players can spend a hero point to suspend a flaw (as a power stunt), so he can spend a HP to change his form at will.
"The most important thing is that nobody was hurt. Except your opponents."
-Mia, Golden Sun 2

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:27 am

If it's just a chance in powers, I'd say build one of them in a Container (Alternate Form) and then the other as an AP. Triggering the conditions switches him involuntarily and he can't otherwise switch without intentionally invoking said conditions. If it's a more extensive change, you could look at Metamorph, particularly if he looks different enough between the two forms as to confuse observers.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”