the opposite of fearsome presence

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
poodle
Luminary
Luminary

the opposite of fearsome presence

Postby poodle » Fri Mar 02, 2012 12:32 am

Hi guys, I wanted to build a feat that was the opposite of fearsome presence. Basically, the guy is someone who you look at and just think he is harmless. Attractive doesn't seem right, I guess fascinate is close to it, just so smooth talking that people don't want to shoot you but it still doesn't feel quite right. This guy looks like the epitomy of harmless. It isn't what he says. Are there any feats like that in any of the other books or should I just go with fascinate or can anyone think about how to stat it up.

Thanks.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: the opposite of fearsome presence

Postby Doctor Devious » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:06 am

An "Irrelevence" aura eh? Some form of mental control / transform to "critically understimate" or "ignore" the character perhaps? With some form of flaw that they simply can't intimidate, facinate or otherwise use interactions skills that require the attention of the target.

In a team, nobody is going to like the guy who doesn't take their fair share of the hits though!

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:44 am

Yeah, not sure I would let that be a Feat that is just on without an action. Fearsome Presence requires an action. Fascinate requires an action. An always on effect like that is crazy powerful.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

badpenny
Overlord
Overlord

Postby badpenny » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:49 am

There's the Disarming Feat from Hero High:

Hero High pg 20 wrote:It started with Mom and Dad, the way you could wrap them around your little finger with a doleful puppy dog stare. You’re cute and innocent looking, and when you want to, you can make villains really nervous about hitting you. Oh they’ll blast you if they have to—they are evil after all—but they’re likely to pull their punch because attacking you is like blasting away at Thumper or a Tribble.

By spending a hero point, you can direct this innocent charm at one villain, forcing the miscreant to make a Will save (DC 10 + rank). If the villain fails, he still attacks, but he “pulls” his punch, reducing his attack’s rank by the amount by which the save failed. The effect lasts until you attack and hurt the villain. If the save succeeds or you attack and hurt the villain, he cannot be affected by the Disarming feat for the rest of that encounter.

You could also build an Emotion Control based on Calm. The description for it says:

• Calm: The subject adopts an indifferent attitude and does not feel any strong emotion. Calm can counter any of the other emotion effects, and they may also counter Calm (see Countering Powers, page 70).

Something like this:

Lost in the Crowd (Emotion Control) (Extras: Burst Area (5 ft. radius); Flaws: Limited to Emotion (Calm), Sense-Dependent (Visual))

This would cost 1pp/rank like Fearsome Presence, give you 5 ft. radius per rank, and require a Standard Action to activate.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:23 am

badpenny wrote:You could also build an Emotion Control based on Calm. The description for it says:

• Calm: The subject adopts an indifferent attitude and does not feel any strong emotion. Calm can counter any of the other emotion effects, and they may also counter Calm (see Countering Powers, page 70).

It's worth noting that the text at the top of Emotion Control indicating that at Failure by 10, no offensive action can be taken, should be part of the Calm entry. Unfortunately, when they did the pocket version, which fixed a lot of errata, they just axed the line rather than put it in its proper place.

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cochramd » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:36 am

Doctor Devious wrote:In a team, nobody is going to like the guy who doesn't take their fair share of the hits though!

If that guy can easily smuggle MacGuffins across international borders, avoid arrest/no jury in the world would convict him, easily obtain top secret classified information because hardened FBI agents look at him and think 'oh, there's no harm in telling this guy everything', stride into the White House because the guards don't think he could do any harm, and so on and so forth, I don't think the rest of the team would mind how many hits he took.

I see this power being used by non-combative utility characters. Characters that are typically below PL standards for attack/damage and defense/toughness, but possess a great deal of skills and feats that make them as useful outside of combat as well-optimized Paragon, Powerhouse and Energy Blaster characters are in combat. I've played alongside one myself: he was a scientist/inventor that was unfortunately being played by the guy who optimizes too well and spoils everyone's fun, even his own. At the end, he was able to invent things almost instantaneously and teleport them to us in the field, which took the challenge out of everything. The GM offered him a way to retire his character, and he took it, then made a new character that seems useful but can't make everything too easy. In the campaign before I joined the group, there was another utility character that never even left the HQ. He just controlled vehicles and hacked into computers from afar while communicating with the group and acting as their moral compass. On the one day he didn't show, one character managed to kill himself, destroy an alien space ship a kilometer long and start an intergalactic war.

The utility character I'm thinking of would use this power both to keep themselves safe in combat situations and to help him outside of combat. I may have exaggerated a bit in the first paragraph, but think about it: guard dogs don't bark at him, law enforcement doesn't think he's suspicious, everyone lets their guard down and loosens their lips around him. The power has obvious uses in infiltration, deception and diplomacy.

Optimator
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Optimator » Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:18 am

Perhaps something like Beautiful Voice from Mecha and Manga?

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”