magic spells and weapons

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
poodle
Luminary
Luminary

magic spells and weapons

Postby poodle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:10 am

I have a character with the ritualist feat. He wants to make a ritual that allows him to enhance the power of his arrows with cool effects. I thought perhaps a ritual that enables 'empower -limited weapons only' would do the job and allow me to apply different effects.
The other alternative would be boost but it doesn't quite do what I want it to although I guess I could boost the fatigue power or stun power
My questions are these.
1. Would that be the simplest way of doing it?
2. If I did it this way would I be able to change the ability of the arrows, as the effect of a ritual lasts for a scene.
3. Would the effect e.g. fatigue/stun be limited to +3 (DC of an ordinary arrow) or to PL (10)
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: magic spells and weapons

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:19 am

:) I'd price it as if it was being built as a linked effect with the arrows. So if, for example, you want to add a Stun 10 effect, that will be a 30 pp effect with the attendant time costs for developing and casting the ritual. After that, it can be used for a single encounter just like with a regular ritual. The player just picks which encounter the arrows are empowered for. :) Does that answer your question?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Feb 23, 2012 7:30 am

1. Buy the effect you want straight up.
2. The ritual would last for a single scene, but would be restricted to the effect you bought originally. Your GM may allow you to build an array, but that is highly suspect.
3. Rituals are limited by campaign Power Level. Your GM may choose to limit other aspects based on other factors.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:08 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote::) I'd price it as if it was being built as a linked effect with the arrows. So if, for example, you want to add a Stun 10 effect, that will be a 30 pp effect with the attendant time costs for developing and casting the ritual. After that, it can be used for a single encounter just like with a regular ritual. The player just picks which encounter the arrows are empowered for. :) Does that answer your question?

30pp!!!! THere has to be an easier way!!
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:36 pm

I've looked into this a little myself and noticed that the traits gained by Empowerment will not stack with target's traits. Boost, however, will stack with previous traits.

Boost 4 (Blast) “Enhance Ammunition” [Slow Fade, +1 Total Fade, -1 Limited (Ranged Weapons)]

Using the single trait option for boost will allow you to enhance the one trait that every ranged weapon will have; Blast! You can use these 4pp to enhance a weapon or device's Blast trait as a combination of extras, damage, power feats, etc. And, if it is damage, you can give it another descriptor such as fire, cold, electric, etc.

In this example your effects would enhance a bow or gun's ammunition for 8 rounds. Not bad considering most fights don't go over a minute.

Plus the total cost is 5pp which will be a lot more manageable as a ritual.

Of course, this you would have to speak with your GM to see if your character knows this ritual or not. ;)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:34 pm

poodle wrote:30pp!!!! THere has to be an easier way!!

Well, if he bought it straight up, it would cost less, but here, you want a 30 pp power that fires off at the same time as your regular damage... doesn't it make sense that you'd have to spend the same amount of time researching and performing the ritual as the guy who simply wants a ranged Stun 10? It's not like the limit really makes much of a different since you're tailoring it to the situation anyhow.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:47 pm

eddieisbored wrote:I've looked into this a little myself and noticed that the traits gained by Empowerment will not stack with target's traits. Boost, however, will stack with previous traits.

Boost 4 (Blast) “Enhance Ammunition” [Slow Fade, +1 Total Fade, -1 Limited (Ranged Weapons)]

Using the single trait option for boost will allow you to enhance the one trait that every ranged weapon will have; Blast! You can use these 4pp to enhance a weapon or device's Blast trait as a combination of extras, damage, power feats, etc. And, if it is damage, you can give it another descriptor such as fire, cold, electric, etc.

In this example your effects would enhance a bow or gun's ammunition for 8 rounds. Not bad considering most fights don't go over a minute.

Plus the total cost is 5pp which will be a lot more manageable as a ritual.

Of course, this you would have to speak with your GM to see if your character knows this ritual or not. ;)

I thought about this, I am already at PL for damage with the bow because of my strength so I would only be able to enhance things like crit or range etc. As for empowerment I wouldn't be stacking damage I would be linking additional powers. the bow would still only be doing 3+ dam but it might also confuse or slow or whatever. It would be easier for my GM as well because instead of needing a new ritual every time I wanted to enhance my weapons differently I would have the one ritual and ammount of PP to play with.
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:59 pm

Sounds like you want a Variable power using the Ritual feat. That would be a major "No-no" in my book.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:26 pm

OK.
In the ned I will go with whatever my GM decides. If it takes a different ritual for each effect then so be it.
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”