Medium Flaw - Snare

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Medium Flaw - Snare

Postby eddieisbored » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:52 pm

The original issue has been resolved in this post. However, a new issue emerges within that same post.

I would like the druid-like hero in the original example to touch a long fallen tree and cause an enemy standing next to the other end of the tree to become snared.

Any thoughts on how to create this power (or linked powers)?

I'll provide the original post below for consistency.

EDIT: This issue has been concluded in this post.

eddieisbored wrote:As of Ultimate Power the Medium flaw can be found in the Snare (p77) and Teleport (p91) powers.

In the case of Teleport using vegetation as a Medium a PL10 druid would be able to start the power on a point of vegetation and instantly travel to another point of vegetation within his range (ex. Teleport 10 [-1 Medium (Vegetation)] ).

As for the case of Snare using vegetation as a Medium the same druid would be able to use this power if there was plant life within his range (ex. Snare 10 [-1 Medium (Vegetation)] ).

A) Would the effects of this particular Snare mean that anyone standing on the chosen point of vegetation within 100ft would risk being snared? The druid doesn't have to make any contact with vegetation.

B) Would the druid have to touch a point of vegetation to use the power? The druid would be able to launch a Snare from his position within 100ft.

C) Or is it a combination of the two above examples? The druid would have to touch a point of vegetation to use the power and a target standing on vegetation within 100ft would risk being snared.
Options A and B seem the most reasonable and live up to a -1 Flaw.

Option C seems to be too restricting and situational for a -1 Flaw, but it may the correct way to interpret the power.

If anyone can help me fairly determine the effects of a Snare with the Medium flaw I would be grateful.
Last edited by eddieisbored on Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Medium Flaw - Snare

Postby XLS » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:12 pm

I think this is a GM call, here.

I'd rule that if a druid-like had Snare with the Flaw as you described, then if he were near some plants (say, within 5', which is what is in "Touch" range), they could be used. Because Snare is a Ranged attack, it seems to me that it has to originate from (or within a short distance) the user. This is more or less option B from your list.

Imagine, for descriptive purposes, the druid-like PC (this is a superhero setting) in some empty lot. The villain flees. Fortunately, our hero is standing near some shrubs that are poking through the asphalt. He commands them to come to life and reach out (to the maximum range of the power) and snare him.

Alternatively, there is the Indirect Feat you could add to the power. This way, the hero could use plants from further away-- say, on the far side of the lot (as long as they're within range of his power). See UP for more on Indirect.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I agree with XLS, it would be B, unless you bought Indirect.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:16 pm

Thank you for helping me clear that up XLS and kenseido.

After hearing your thoughts I too agree that the normal effects of a Snare with a vegetation Medium means that the druid-like hero would have to be within touch range of plant life to use the power (essentially option B).

Reading up on the Indirect power feat revealed that, if applied the, the same effect can originate from any point of vegetation as long as the distance between the target and the druid-like hero is within the power's range (similar in likeness and better than option A).

I have another scenario to pose and I will edit the first post notifying people that the first issue has been revolved yet there is now a second complex question within this post.

Using the same druid-like hero as before, let's call him Plantman, I would like to modify that same Snare so that it can only affect opponents within touch range of the same vegetation Plantman needs to use the power regardless of the vegetation's mass and distance.

For example, Plantman touches one end of an long fallen tree and causes the first enemy standing next to the other end of the tree to become snared. However, the second enemy was a few paces away from the fallen tree and escaped without a scratch.

Plantman is essentially projecting his touch range further down the tree to use a touch range Snare.

Are there any powers that allow characters to project their touch range (super-senses maybe?)? I'd assume that the touch ranged Snare would be linked to this power. If not, is there any way to modify Snare to do this?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:28 pm

There is an Extra in Mecha and Manga called Conduit which does that very thing.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:41 pm

Actually, there's a Conductor Extra in Mecha and Manga, but frankly, it's a bad buy as written. For the cost as buying the Ranged extra, you get a range of 5 ft per rank and free Indirect 3 with the limit that the conducting material must exist between you and your target. The only benefits are a) you get free Indirect 3 so long as you can still sense the target accurately, b) It's a rare optional extra where you don't have to always apply it, c) you may be able to use your melee attack bonus, so you don't have to buy up ranged, and d) it's stated that a weapon made of the given material can channel the power, giving you a sort of a free flexible Linked, although they state that if it's an actual power, like Strike, you should just buy a Linked effect.

Personally, I think they could probably ameliorate the drawbacks by removing the attack roll and turning it into a sort of a miniature area attack. Maybe allow a Reflex save to leave the surface while the power is surging through it, but otherwise, it hits without having to roll.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:23 pm

Ah, thanks for pointing me toward the Conductor extra kenseido and thanks for clarifying what that extra does FuzzyBoots.

In the case of a ranged power one could apply the Medium flaw to cancel out the cost of the Conductor extra. Purchasing one rank of the Proggression (Range) or Improved Range power feats will make up for the lost range.

Sticking with the above scenario Plantman would have have:

Snare 10 [Extended Reach, Improved Range,+1 Conductor (Vegetation), -1 Medium (Vegetation)] {21pp}

Now when Plantman touches one end of a fallen tree he can use Snare on an enemy within touch range of the entire tree which will meet the character concept at the cost of 2pp. As always, correct me if I am wrong.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:16 pm

Conductor includes a choice of Medium, so using that flaw is pretty much a no-go.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Tue Feb 21, 2012 8:23 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:Conductor includes a choice of Medium, so using that flaw is pretty much a no-go.

Yes it does but it doesn't limit you to only using the attack through the medium. Part of the description reads...

Mecha & Manga wrote:In addition to the normal mode of delivery, a power with a conductor effect can...

With the Conductor extra the power can happen normally or through the medium. Placing the Medium flaw will limit you to only using the power through the medium.

EDIT: Rereading my choice of words I suppose that placing a Limiting (Medium Only) flaw would effectively do the same thing.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”