Adaptation: Is this the right power for this?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
KarolineDianne
Groupie
Groupie

Adaptation: Is this the right power for this?

Postby KarolineDianne » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:18 pm

So, I was working on something recently, and I came across a little speedbump. I'm trying to design a device for a character of mine. She's got a space suit of sorts, but the main idea is that it has various 'systems' that can activate depending on the situation.

The idea here is that the suit isn't much special in its default mode. It offers decent protection and has a built in commlink, that's about it. However, the suit has a sort of 'Omni-Tool' thing in it, which does everything else. The HUD, life-support, and movement powers are all covered by the support system.

For instance, she goes into space, she gets the proper immunities and the ability to move via little jets. Nothing too fast, more like what Isaac had in Dead Space 2. If she goes underwater, she effectively gets scuba gear, that sort of thing.

This here seems to fit Adaptation perfectly fine, but there's one issue I'm meeting... The points will be used for other things too. If she needs to switch to 'Thermal Vision' or nightvision, she can do that too. If she needs to turn on her thrusters in normal gravity to dampen a fall and land safely, she can do that too.

Essentially, since the power will encompass more than purely reactionary adaptation to environments, I'm not sure if the Adaptation power fits. The idea is that she has a power reserve she can rout to several systems in her suit. She can't have them all running at the same time, but she can mix and match to suit her needs at will, so long as they fit with her theme of course.

What would you suggest? Will Adaptation still work, or should I just make it a 'Variable Power Structure' from scratch?
You can own the Earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Adaptation: Is this the right power for this?

Postby kenseido » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:51 pm

Adaption is pretty good, except it takes a full round to activate and you have no control over the results.

You could buy Adaptation 2 and then maybe Variable 1 to cover non-survival type powers to fit the environment.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

KarolineDianne
Groupie
Groupie

Postby KarolineDianne » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:01 pm

Hmm... But the lack of control is the main reason it bothers me.

Perhaps just variable, then. That may be the best option.
You can own the Earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:34 pm

Well the Adaptation gives you the bonus of activating even if you can't take an action to activate it. That's why I think your best bet is a split between the two.

KarolineDianne
Groupie
Groupie

Postby KarolineDianne » Sun Feb 05, 2012 11:58 pm

But it's a full round action at a sustained duration... Of course it takes an action to activate. :O

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:25 am

Adaptation is a full round action, but it's passive. So like Regen it takes the time, but no effort on the character's part. In UP, Adaptation is Continuous.

Optimator
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Optimator » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:53 pm

You could have Adaptation and pay for a bunch of super senses on the side inside the device container.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”