Can Weapon Summoning call Devices?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Can Weapon Summoning call Devices?

Postby Ash Williams » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:24 am

So I'm working on a duo that believe they're demigods. They've both got an energy-based power (one's electrical, the other's darkness), in addition to their mid-level Flying Brick powers. As an Alternate Power of their energy, they can summon weapons given to them by their parents.

The question is, can I use the Weapon Summoning power in association with the Device power? Like let's say that one of them has a blade similar to Stormbringer, or an Aegis/Captain America-style shield. Is that allowable by the rules?

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Can Weapon Summoning call Devices?

Postby Doctor Devious » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:45 am

A device as an AP of a power is a bit tricky: you'd need to work out issues such as AP slot-change for a lost device etc.
Prob. better just to use an "artifact" descriptor for a standard AP power(s), and to work on the theme whereby the energy power can meaningfully support the change to/from the artifact. With that approach, the only limits to what powers would be available to the artifact would be thematic.

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:51 am

My interpretation (and opinion) is that the Weapon Summoning power can be used to summon and dismiss such weapons, but not in conjunction with the Device power, simply on its own.

Essentially you build the effects of the weapons as normal powers using 2pp per rank in Weapon Summoning (which means just buying the powers you want the weapons to represent and as a "free action" you can declare that you're either using the powers (summoned!) or you aren't (dismissed!).

I would probably make the choice that each character can only summon the one weapon, so don't make it an array, but the Immunity to Summoned Weapons power feat would be appropriate.

The ability to dismiss the weapons is why you don't get the discount Device would give you, as you can't effectively be disarmed without instantly dismissing and re-summoning the weapon to your hands ready to use.
Nothing is Everything

Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Postby Ash Williams » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:32 am

So would I add the Indestructible feat to the Weapon Summoning power, or to the weapon's description?
Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future. - Iroquois Pliskin

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Feb 05, 2012 10:22 am

Ash Williams wrote:So would I add the Indestructible feat to the Weapon Summoning power, or to the weapon's description?

No.

:) Longer answer, the weapons are assumed to be indestructible because even if you were disarmed or the weapon sundered, it's just summoned right back into your hands.

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:21 am

Because it isn't a Device, it doesn't exist, it is a power that you will always have (or is a free action away), as Fuzzy said, you don't make them Indestructible because they essentially are.
Nothing is Everything

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”