Track by hearing, Have I done this right?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Track by hearing, Have I done this right?

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:59 pm

My character has the ability to track down someone by the sound of their voice. I intend to use it to be able to hear someone form about a mile away, be able to analyze it recognize the voice, if I am actively listening for it (not passive). It's based on this scene from Power Rangers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDBbkShcezs

Here's what I've got so far:
Voice recognition: Blindsight (4 pp), Extended 2 (hearing), Track, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Analytical 1.
(7)

Would the above power be able to do that? Incase you wanted to know, it's forthis character.
Games I'm playing in:
Crinoverse: Warehouse 23
Ben Zabo: Shakes

Games I'm GMing
Grimnoir Chronicles(Open Recruitment until August 30th)

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Re: Track by hearing, Have I done this right?

Postby Cinder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:19 pm

Corebrute23 wrote:Voice recognition: Blindsight (4 pp), Extended 2 (hearing), Track, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Analytical 1.
(7)

What do you use in your game for Super-Sense (Track) checks? Notice or Search? I have read arguments for both.

The advantage to search is that there are rules for extended searches which may be fitting for a power like this. The problem is that it is intelligence based which may not make sense (excuse the pun) for your character.

If it is notice, Extended 2 would mean that at a mile you would be -5 to notice checks. One more point would remove any penalty out to 2 miles, which I am sure you know. With notice as the check you would probably need Accurate to locate a person as the core says

"Sight is the only accurate sense for normal humans"

accurate also says

"You can use a sense to pinpoint something’s exact location."

One could argue that because we can recognize differences in voices you would need neither. Regardless, to have analytical you need to make hearing acute:

"You can only apply this effect to an acute sense."

Analytical may be more than you need as it says

"Beyond even acute, you can perceive specific details about anything you can detect with an analytical sense, such as chemical composition, exact dimensions or mass, frequency of sounds and energy wavelengths, and so forth."

You don't need to know the wavelength of someone's voice to recognize it.

Ask yourself:

Do you want to be able to know the exact location with a notice check and go there?

Do you want the power to be the ability to reach out and search voices until you find the right one?

If it is the former, notice could be the way to go, if it is the latter extended search may be what you want.

Of course you could make the Extended Search roles using a Notice check, but that would be a house rule of course.

Keep in mind that Notice also says:

Listen (auditory): Make a check against a DC based on how loud the
noise is or against an opposed Stealth check. A normal conversation
is DC 0, a quiet noise DC 10. Listening through a door is +5 DC, +15
for a solid wall. While you’re asleep, hearing something well enough
to wake up is +10 DC.

Other Senses: You can make Notice checks involving other sense types
as well as various special senses (see page 103 for more on sense
types and unusual senses). Noticing something obvious to a sense is
DC 0. Less obvious things are DC 10 or so, hidden things DC 20 or
more, and making out details requires you to exceed the DC by 10 or
more.

So your DC to notice a person talking at a mile with your power could be:

10 for "hidden" (among many other voices)
+5 for distance penalties
+10 to make out details (a particular voice)
+10 inside a building
= DC: 35

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 4:45 pm

Hmm, so it seems Search is the better skill for this. Searching for it seems to be the way to go here.

One thing, with the current setting, what is the range without penalties? Half a mile?

I'm either going to go with this, or remove a point from Drain and increase Extended range to 3.

Voice recognition: Blindsight (4 pp), Extended 2 (hearing), Track, Uncanny Dodge (Hearing), Accurate 1.
(7)
Games I'm playing in:
Crinoverse: Warehouse 23
Ben Zabo: Shakes

Games I'm GMing
Grimnoir Chronicles(Open Recruitment until August 30th)

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:03 pm

Corebrute23 wrote:One thing, with the current setting, what is the range without penalties? Half a mile?

-1 / 1000 feet for Notice checks.

Search is not clear. A ranged power (which hearing technically is) normally has a max range of ten range increments. Normal hearing has a range increment of 10 feet. Extended Range 2 makes it 1000 feet. So maybe it is 10,000 feet or about two miles?

I guess your maximum radius for an extended search would be two square miles? As to penalties, it is hard to determine. You simply cannot search more than a five foot by five foot area in one round conventionally. The core doesn't deal with this well, or maybe I missed it.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:54 pm

Cinder wrote:I guess your maximum radius for an extended search would be two square miles? As to penalties, it is hard to determine. You simply cannot search more than a five foot by five foot area in one round conventionally. The core doesn't deal with this well, or maybe I missed it.

In Core, you can search a larger area with either Quickness or applying a -5 penalty for each increment faster you search. Personally, I've used this for scanning a larger area, especially with people with Penetrates Concealment, since you're essentially quartering the area you're looking at, adjusting your depth of field on the X-Ray vision.

Optimator
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Optimator » Fri Feb 03, 2012 12:06 am

There are rules for this, are there not? Extended Searches, page 53 in the core book.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”