Linked to strength powers-Variable strength

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Linked to strength powers-Variable strength

Postby Corebrute23 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:46 am

I'm working on a character based off of the Psycho Rangers, except he's gone good. You know how it is.

The problem is I am using powers which are linked to strength. However is that the strength changes when he 'morphs' from human to 'Psycho' mode. Here is the martial arts array powers I am using for the character (Yes I did steal them from another player, sorry Relentless):

Martial Arts Array 14
- Fingers in Eyes: Visual Dazzle 10 (Touch Range -1) Linked to Strength Damage (14)
- Bulls eye Rabbit Punch: Penetrating 1 and Autofire on Strength Damage (12)

His original strength is 18. When he transforms, using alternate form:
Alternate Form-Dark Ranger Form [Standard Action] [3 points per 1 rank of Alternate form]:
Enhanced Strength +12

What I want to know, is how do I reflect the cost of the power in my martial arts array, when the strength damage changes? I want to keep the martial arts array outside the alternate form, so he can use his martial arts if caught outside his suit.

Can you guys help me figure out the point cost for my martial arts array? Or at least the formula to determine cost of power, in case I decide 30 strength is too high?

Note: I added the action flaw too my Alternate form, so I need to spend a Standard action to transform. That's why it's cheaper than normal.
Games I'm playing in:
Crinoverse: Warehouse 23
Ben Zabo: Shakes

Games I'm GMing
Grimnoir Chronicles(Open Recruitment until August 30th)

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Linked to strength powers-Variable strength

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:24 am

In UP, they discuss how to deal with extras on strength and the case of changing strengths is covered. Long story short, you'll have to buy the extra for the highest rank you want it useable at. So as it stands, you can only use your "Bulls eye Rabbit Punch" for a +6 modifier. Penetrating is easy enough to do as a partial modifier, but Autofire would be a bit trickier. I think I'd be torn between either only allowing you to use the Autofire at +6 and allowing you to use whatever your strength bonus is, but keep the maximum value based on the +6 (i.e., the most you can add is +3). Er... your base strength score is only +4, so I'm a bit confused as to why you're buying +6 worth.
Your "Fingers in Eyes" power should cost only 10 pp for the Dazzle as you're not actually buying anything on your strength. Similarly, since nothing in the power changes for different strength levels (unless there's a potential PL balance issue between damage done and attack bonus), there's no need to account for your strength increase. That said, I'm a bit iffy Linking the effect to his strength damage like that, since part of the intent of Linking is that you can't use one without the other, which would mean he couldn't do unarmed damage without using his Dazzle.

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks for the info on the UP.

Regarding the confusion about the +4, again I stole the martial arts array from someone who knew what they were doing, while I don't. I also stole some stuff from your Way of the Fist character FB, sorry. I was going to give credit when the sheet was done, but perhaps I should ask permission first.

The enhanced strength adds to the original strength doesn't it? So it goes from a +4 without a suit to a (+4 +6= +10) with the suit. I feel I may reduce it to +8, not sure yet.

I think I will add penetrating as an Alternate Power rather than sticking it to autofire, and stop the dazzle from being linked. Too much confusion that way. The intention is that when he turned his array to that alternate power, his unarmed attacks would link to dazzle, but that is a bit too much confusion for me.
Games I'm playing in:

Games I'm GMing

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:07 am

Corebrute23 wrote:Regarding the confusion about the +4, again I stole the martial arts array from someone who knew what they were doing, while I don't. I also stole some stuff from your Way of the Fist character FB, sorry. I was going to give credit when the sheet was done, but perhaps I should ask permission first.

^_^ They say imitation is flattery. As regards pricing the array

Corebrute23 wrote:The enhanced strength adds to the original strength doesn't it? So it goes from a +4 without a suit to a (+4 +6= +10) with the suit. I feel I may reduce it to +8, not sure yet.

{nods} So in this case, any extras you want to apply to your strength, you buy them up to the maximum level you want to use them at. For your base powers without the suit, that's up to 4. If you want to take advantage of the added strength from the suit, you buy it up to the level you plan to use.

Corebrute23 wrote:I think I will add penetrating as an Alternate Power rather than sticking it to autofire, and stop the dazzle from being linked. Too much confusion that way. The intention is that when he turned his array to that alternate power, his unarmed attacks would link to dazzle, but that is a bit too much confusion for me.

Ah. Well, as I said before, one of the limitations of using Linked is that, for the benefit of being able to use a single action to activate both powers, you are also required to use both powers every time. Thus, arrays and Linked can make for very uneasy bedfellows.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:44 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:That said, I'm a bit iffy Linking the effect to his strength damage like that, since part of the intent of Linking is that you can't use one without the other, which would mean he couldn't do unarmed damage without using his Dazzle.

It is possible to Link two or more powers together and still use one without the other. In order to do this you would have to increase the cost of all but the highest ranked power by 1pp/rank.

Other than that I agree with everything else that FuzzyBoots mentioned.

Corebrute23
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Corebrute23 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:01 pm

I've made the character, fixed the arrays, can you guys tell me whether I've done anything wrong with it?
viewtopic.php?p=945119#p945119
Games I'm playing in:

Games I'm GMing

Builds:
The Core brutes 2e

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”