Slowing Down Morph

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
corhen
Bystander
Bystander

Slowing Down Morph

Postby corhen » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:53 pm

Hello All, first time posting

im building a PL5 Magitech/clockwork robot, named C.H.E.S.T.E.R, whos overall theme is "crippling overspecialization"

The core of this build is use of the Meta-Morph to switch between 3 forms. that is, a speed, a strength, and a defense from (a detective form, named H.O.L.M.E.S), 1 rank of morph +3 of metamorph means i spend a total of 4PP to gain this ability.

My problem arrives from an intentional handicap i am trying to give myself. i want to slow down the transformation to a move action, but applying the "action" flaw dosnt decrease the cost of the power.

What is the best way to get this effect per the rules?

Thanks

Corhen

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Re: Slowing Down Morph

Postby eddieisbored » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:18 am

Morph allows you to alter your appearance and if you purchased it for 2pp/rank it will allow you to assume a broad group of any form, such as machines. If you purchase the power for 1pp/rank you can only have a single appearance that you turn into.

I see you purchased three ranks of the Metamorph feat so you can switch between three different sets of traits. However you only need two since your initial traits are your first form (speed). Two ranks allow you to change into your other forms (strength & defense).

In the end, it still totals to 4pp.

Morph 1 (Machines) [metamorph 2] - 4pp

Now you want to apply the Action flaw to bring its use down to a Move action. That would reduce the base cost of the power to 1pp/rank. So your total would be 3pp.

Morph 1 (Machines) [metamorph 2, -1 Action (Move)] - 3pp

If you decided to bring it down to a Standard action then you would have to apply another flaw. However, you can't have a negative cost for a power. Whenever you lower the cost of your power below one just increase your ranks in the power by that amount.

Morph 2 (Machines) [metamorph 2, -2 Action (Standard)] - 3pp
    Morph 3 (Machines) [metamorph 2, -3 Action (Full)] - 3pp

corhen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby corhen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:08 am

so, i guess the problem is i want a POWER called Meta-morph, as opposed to a power feat. im only taking 1 rank of morph (he is a humanoid robot, all three forms are humanoid, and very similar)

Well, ATM i have GM permission to slow it down, and get the extra PP back.. was just hoping there was a way to do it.. legally.. without resorting to rule 0

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:04 am

Meta-Morph as a Power Feat simply allows your Morph power to alter traits as well, so the "free action" part is actually because Morph itself is a free action, simply applying the flaws as described above is exactly how you do what you intend to do, using the rules as written.

EDIT: If your GM is allowing you to take only a single rank of Morph, plus Meta-Morph, then the power will cost you 1pp plus 2pp for the two applications of the power feat, applying the flaw will not make it any cheaper (you can't take a power for 0pp) as far as I can tell (if your GM charges the full 2pp/rank, the flaw will bring it down to 1pp/rank and the total cost will remain 3pp including the PF)
Nothing is Everything

corhen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby corhen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:05 am

yea, that's basically the problem, im only taking morph to get meta-morph, not even using the +5 to disguise, as that is what my character is based around. in effect, i'm viewing Meta-morph almost as a power in its own right, and hoped to tweak it to match the concept within the rules of the game.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 am

corhen wrote:yea, that's basically the problem, im only taking morph to get meta-morph, not even using the +5 to disguise, as that is what my character is based around. in effect, i'm viewing Meta-morph almost as a power in its own right, and hoped to tweak it to match the concept within the rules of the game.

Ah. The Alternate Power container might be more of what you're looking for, particularly if he doesn't entirely change between forms, but instead shifts around a package of traits related to the current form. The intent of Morph and Metamorph is someone literally becoming someone else.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:18 pm

A Container is a group of powers, feats, etc. that share a common descriptor. The container is bought for 5pp/rank and you gain 5pp to purchase powers inside of the Container. The common example of this is the (Alternate) Form power (pg7). You can apply power modifiers and feats to the Container as well as to the powers inside of it. You can also get alternate powers of the Container to create different modes or forms.

Speed Form 4 [-1 Action (Move)] - 16pp (Base) + 2pp (Alternate Powers) = 18pp
  • Speed 6
  • Strike 7 (Fire) [+1 Area (Trail)]
Alternate Power: Defense Form 4 [-1 Action (Move)]
  • Toughness 5 [+1 Impervious]
  • Shield 5
  • Elusive Target
  • Evasion 2
  • Improved Defense 2
Alternate Power: Power Form 4 [-1 Action (Move)]
  • Enhanced Strength 20

With the example above I purchased (Alternate) Form at 4 ranks. However, I applied a flaw to the power which means for 4pp/rank I get 5pp to spend on powers/feats/skills inside of that alternate form.

EDIT: If you have Mecha & Manga then take a look at the Battle Form power for an alternative.

corhen
Bystander
Bystander

Postby corhen » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:07 pm

when he changes form with metamorph, all his stats change, his skills, his height, hair color, ect.

This is not a simple battle form, he has no "normal" form, each form is as legitimately his "main" form as any other one. the only power that i have found that gets close to meeting that is the Meta-morph power..

Evasion form literally has no dex, or str, out side of the Super-strength he has in the from Density! as i said.. crippling over Specialization!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:38 pm

Well, if he changes his appearance so much... we're back to using Morph again. At which point, you have a power where you're currently trying to reduce the cost down to 0 prior to adding feats... You can see why we're saying that the power is working exactly like it should. :)

Technically speaking, you could bundle all of your abilities into an alternate form and make one Permanent as your base form.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:13 pm

EDIT: I was being redundant... but I'll keep one thing from the original post.

"If you use one of the old examples you can always choose not to use the bonus to hide or the ability to morph into different machines. "

EDIT: Here is one other... abstract way I can think of to achieve what you are trying to do... it's legality is unknown to me. It's usefulness is also in question as well.

(Speed) Form 30 [-Action (Move)] - 120pp + 2pp (Alternate Form) = 122pp
  • INSERT 150PP WORTH OF TRAITS FOR SPEED FORM HERE
Alternate Form: (Power) Form 30 [-Action (Move)]
  • INSERT 150PP WORTH OF TRAITS FOR POWER FORM HERE
Alternate Form: (Defense) Form 30 [-Action (Move)]
  • INSERT 150PP WORTH OF TRAITS FOR DEFENSE FORM HERE

I created an alternate form that costs you 122 power points. You have 28 power points to purchase basic things that all three forms will have outside of the (Alternate) Form power. Although you are technically gaining "28 extra power points" you will be useless if you lose the ability to use the (Alternate) Form power (aka Nullify). And, if you want your character to change appearances buy Morph 1 in each form to do so. You don't need the metamorph power feat either.

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:18 pm

I guess I'm just not understanding how 3pp is too expensive for you to have three completely different character builds all rolled into one.

Alternate Form, Shapeshift and any combination of the two to make a "Meta-morph" power without power feats is going to be more expensive than that by a long way.
Nothing is Everything

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”