Obscure - Change effect area from radius to cone?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Obscure - Change effect area from radius to cone?

Postby eddieisbored » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:01 am

Obscure creates total concealment in a 5ft radius at rank one and additional ranks move the radius up one step on the Time and Value Progression Chart. Is there a way to change the effect area from radius to cone (ie. 5ft cone at rank one)?

My thoughts were that it would be a free exchange since I'm changing the condition of an effect similar to when you change a trigger of a reaction. I just can't find any text supporting this theory.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Obscure - Change effect area from radius to cone?

Postby kenseido » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:08 am

I don't see why you couldn't, and I agree it would be a +0 Extra.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:19 pm

Just needed to hear another opinion so thanks, kenseido.

Obscure 3 (Visual) (25ft cone of thick wispy smoke) - 3PP
  • Power Feats: Slow Fade 2 (5 minutes)
  • Extras: +0 Effect (Cone)
  • Flaws: -2 Duration (Instant), -1 Range (Touch)
What does everyone think?

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 am

eddieisbored wrote:Just needed to hear another opinion so thanks, kenseido.

Obscure 3 (Visual) (25ft cone of thick wispy smoke) - 3PP
  • Power Feats: Slow Fade 2 (5 minutes)
  • Extras: +0 Effect (Cone)
  • Flaws: -2 Duration (Instant), -1 Range (Touch)
What does everyone think?
I'm concerned a bit about the Instant duration. Visual Obscure represents things like smoke clouds, dust storms, magic darkness, and the like. If you blast a cone of darkness that is instant, then it seems hardly effective-- "Oh no! There's smoke everywhere! I can't see... oh, wait. It's gone. Never mind!"

Indeed, it seems to me (and I'd hardly claim to be a rules maven, so someone else can correct me here) that an Instant duration doesn't jibe with Slow Fade at all. UP describes "Instant" as: "An instant effect occurs and ends instantly," so how can something that disappears instantly also fade slowly?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 29, 2012 12:44 pm

Agreed. Slow Fade could make sense with an Independent effect, but you have to buy it to Sustained to add Independent, of course.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:00 pm

The reason I chose Instant over a Sustained duration is because I don't want the character to be able to maintain the effect longer than the five minutes.

Even if it was sustained, the character could use the power then choose not to maintain it as a free action that round. I'm just taking that choice away from the character.

Imagine releasing the contents of a fire extinguisher. You take an action to use it then you put it down. As soon as you stop pulling the trigger the "smoke" that's floating in the air will start to fade.

And another example would be to apply slow fade to a fire blast with the cone extra so that the area continues burning for a minute after its use. Of course for balancing out the risk of damage I would require that the target make a reflex save to avoid damage altogether.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:17 pm

Ah. I think what you're looking for is adding Independent (which makes it start Fading as soon as you stop using it) and possibly a few ranks of Fast Fade (Mecha and Manga) to make it loose points more quickly. Instant simply disappears right away. Decent for a quick getaway, but that's all. And the Slow Fade wouldn't do anything to it.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Hey thanks again FuzzyBoots. Just read it and that's what I'm looking for.

There I go again interpreting one thing when it really means another thing (aka my Cold Control thread). At least now I recognized the mistake on the first time being calling out.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”