Help with a Sentinal Killer Robot character

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
xmortal
Bystander
Bystander

Help with a Sentinal Killer Robot character

Postby xmortal » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Hey folks, my character just got blown to atoms saving the world, by having a nuclear bomb go off in his face.. so yeah no saving through to get out of that one lol...

Everytime I've needed ideas, or help on fleshing out a character you guys have always helped me get the details and point management down.

So my character(in the marvel universe) that died was a scientist, and had captured advanced sentinal blueprints years ago... Over the years I played that my character was always working on it in the off time.

So now that the creator is dead, one of my friends in the group and I worked out that he went to my lab to destroy my stuff for safetys sake, but when he tried to "kill" the sentinal killer, it fought back, and now *pop* the group has a new character that only requires a little bit of RP to get in, instead of lots of game time to bring in. The upcoming story is going to be a "Project Wide Awake" story leading into the "Civil War"..

So.. now that the backstory is out of the way, here's where I'm stuck. Like always, it comes down to never enough points lol... 155 pts.

What I'm trying to build is a robot, that can go from medium to huge and back, has the ability to transform into a big hover tank that can carry the group of 5 other members. I need him to be the bruiser of the group, and I picture him kind of like Megatron, but when I'm trying to work with growth, morph/metamorph, and fighting aspect, I feel like I'm not taking the right approach...

So I would like to setup the transformer feel, which is cool for the group, but I'm not sure I can do that, AND fill the bruiser roll of the other heroes that were hugging a nuclear bomb as it blew.

So is morph/metamorph the power I need to make the transformation into the hover tank?

Is there a way to make an array of some kind that would help put the transforming, and combat powers together?

I'd like some kind of energy blast (I mean a tank has to shoot something right?).. So possibly a Plasma control array with a bunch of AP's to get the flight and blast etc..?

Anyway.. a Sentinal Killer giant robot, transforms into hover tank big enough to carry at least 5 regular sized humans, can be the group bruiser.

Ideas?

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Help with a Sentinal Killer Robot character

Postby Doctor Devious » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:26 pm

I'll leave the details of 'bot building to those more up to speed than I, but have you considered a "partial-AI-imprint" of your previous scientist character into the new robot? The scientist may have applied some of the sentinel's weapons adaptation technology to its central processing core, using his mind as the template to adapt to and thus in comic book style - scientist reborn! Well, with the usual "partial memory" / "not quite the same being" sort of thing, with a resulting bunch of handy "problematic issues" (a.k.a. hero-point opportunities) for your new character to deal with (e.g. "hi mom!", ex-girlfriend silent "staking" and the eventual "you let me hold a bomb in my face..?!")

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jan 23, 2012 2:44 pm

As regards transforming into a vehicle that can carry others, that's one of those things which has never been horribly well fleshed out, but as a GM, I'd probably let you get by with enough Super-Strength / Speed to carry them combined with a Feature (seats and seatbelts for carried teammates). I'd probably base the details of cost on the point cost for vehicles, albeit modified to pp rather than ep.

For the changing around, Morph/Metamorph is essentially for when the different forms are completely different characters. If your character just changes some, I'd say you go for Alternate Form and just allocate each form's abilities into APs of that Alternate Form, although if you do that, he will be recognizable as the same robot in each of those forms. Morph would let you try to sidestep that by giving you a bonus to the "Disguise" check when you switch forms, thereby penalizing the Notice check to realize you're all the same person.

Search for Transformers on the Roll Call forum and you should find some examples, of course.

eddieisbored
Hireling
Hireling

Postby eddieisbored » Tue Jan 24, 2012 3:20 pm

Hello xmortal, you may want to take a look at Mechamorph (p68) as well as the entire Mecha chapter in the Mecha & Manga book. You can create a mobile suit, transfomer, spider walker, etc. using Features which are essentially Feats dedicated to the operation of a mechanical hero. They are classified in different categories such as targeting systems and each feat has a tech level to keep everything appropriate to the game.

Oh, and on a side note, the book is on sale at the shop for $5.00. It may be worth looking into.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Tue Jan 24, 2012 6:14 pm

keep it simple. morph or metamorph, limited machinery should do it. If your charactrer is strong enough then I would guess using morph is enough to justify being a truck. One rank of shapechange would also do it, if you are keeping the same attacks and stuff, limited one form only. Your natural strength should be enough to justify carrying the others depending on your GM.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:16 am

I'd probably lean towards Alternate Forms, make yourself a base level tough-robot and then spend the majority of your points in the different forms themselves, one of which can have Growth, Super-Strength and movement powers designed for being the group transport, one with the blaster attack capabilities you mentioned and one big solid bruiser form.

Just make sure you don't wind up stepping on other player's toes by having too many forms and claiming too many niche roles in the group, and you should be set!
Nothing is Everything

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed Jan 25, 2012 8:15 am

Aren't giant killer-robots meant to step on toes (and legs, bodies, cars etc)?! :lol:

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:54 am

Haha, of course giant killer robots can step on anything they want in game but players' toes should still be well protected :wink:
Nothing is Everything

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”