array question

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
chaos018
Groupie
Groupie

array question

Postby chaos018 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:58 am

let's say at character creation, a person decided on certain alternate powers within that main power. for example, let's say he decided to go into Air Control with Blast, Flight, and Forcefield as his APs. Now later, when he has earned more power points, he has decided that he also wants to bring in Suffocate as another AP. my question is, how much is the cost to this? Is it just one PP for the addition with with another two to make it dynamic, like a power feat? or does it cost more to put it in at the same strength as his air control? Just a random question I just thought about.

chaos018
Groupie
Groupie

Re: array question

Postby chaos018 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:28 am

And another question, say a player of mine wanted to have an alternate power within his power, Super-Speed to be exact. Problem is, he wants Super Strength, something that does not sound like it would naturally come from the Speed. How would that work exactly? He runs really fast and while being fast, be really really strong? That wouldn't help in combat since he already had his base STR upped to the 30s.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Jan 21, 2012 10:45 am

Regular APs always cost one power point, whether the character bought them at creation or adds them later with earned pp. Dynamic slots always cost 2 pp (if it's the base power, it's 1 pp to make it dynamic because you already "bought" that one). Either one is automatically able to use as many power points as the base power which may or may not be the same rank.
This post is a good starting point for understanding arrays. ^_^ I always find the link looking at this page of helpful links and answers from the ORQ forum (also pinned at the top of this forum as Elric's thread).

The GM always has the final say on what the characters can have on their sheet whether it's before, during, or after they put it down. If you don't think the Super-Strength makes sense, don't allow it. I could see cases where it's feasible. After all, even if you're running around the world in 6 seconds, you're still running around the world, so that's got to either take a lot of muscle or alternately some other force empowering you. That said, as before, it's entirely your call.

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby peregrine » Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:27 pm

chaos018 wrote:And another question, say a player of mine wanted to have an alternate power within his power, Super-Speed to be exact. Problem is, he wants Super Strength, something that does not sound like it would naturally come from the Speed. How would that work exactly? He runs really fast and while being fast, be really really strong? That wouldn't help in combat since he already had his base STR upped to the 30s.
Assuming you're talking about the Super Speed power, and the 2 points per rank it gives to pick any of a variety of powers, he would be super strong all the time, not just when running very fast. He could be standing still, and still get his full benefit for lifting stuff.

Rabbitman
Henchman
Henchman

Postby Rabbitman » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:20 am

And Super-Strength doesn't add damage in combat, it only affects grappling and lifting.
Nothing is Everything

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”