Stronger Power Magnet

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Stronger Power Magnet

Postby cochramd » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:56 am

I'm not building something based around Absorption any time soon, but there's a something about Power Magnet that intrigue me.

Someone with 10 Absorption (Boost Strength and Constitution) Limited to Electricity with Power Magnet and Energy Storage can rip the power out of a generator station 1000 feet away, or anything battery in the same range. By taking the Improved Range feat a few times or by taking the power up to Perception range, this character could even rip lightning from thunderclouds. Additionally, if they were fighting their rival who had electric powers, they could counter their electric powers with Absorption. For example, he could redirect an electric Blast targeting his love interest to himself. I'd bet that if he blows a hero point, he could have his Absorption drain his rival's electric force field as he gives him a mean right hook.

But it would sound oh so very comic booky if the hero decided that, in attacking his love interest, his rival had gone too far this time. Instead of killing his rival, he rips his electric powers out permanently (or at least until the plot demands them again). There's nothing in the RAW to suggest he can or can't do this. Under most circumstances, he's blowing another hero point: If the GM rules that Power Magnet can't drain the powers of characters, the hero point is spent to power stunt an AP for his Absorption (10 ranks of 3 points per rank Drain, Limited to electric powers, with at least 10 Slow Fades, more if his Absorption had power feats). If the GM rules that it can, he's spending the hero point to produce an extremely dramatic climax to the battle and to take his rival out of the way for a while.

However, if you have a Gm who rules that it can't drain character powers, what is a reasonable modifier to have it drain character powers? And would all the Slow Fades one bought for the Power Reserve also apply to the drain, or would they need to be bought separately?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Stronger Power Magnet

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:10 am

You'd probably instead stunt a Drain power, possibly one linked up with a Boost such as Transfer. :)

Mark Reuter
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Mark Reuter » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:11 am

If I were the player and/or the GM, I would suggest a Transform (powered individual to non-powered individual). This is the 3 point version of transform so you could get ten ranks of the power for 30 points.

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cochramd » Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:37 am

To clarify, I was asking what sort of modifier it would be to have Power Magnet work on super-powered individuals, not just inanimate objects.

But now that you mention it, Transform is better than Drain for that power stunt. It's a base 3 points per rank (unless the Gm rules that it's 2 points per rank, since 'super-powered individuals with the correct power descriptor' is a very, very limited), and then you can add a +1 modifier to have it Continuous. Continuous transformations last until you choose to reverse them (or they are nullified). Ultimate Power also says 'The GM can require that
a Continuous Transform effect have some other reasonable way of undoing it, from a kiss from royalty to soaking in water,depending on the effect’s descriptors.' It's totally open to the rival getting his powers back by being hit by lightning or something, but still has the potential to take away his powers FOREVER if fate doesn't decide to give them back.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”