Possession Build

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Wagner_Darksteel
Bystander
Bystander

Possession Build

Postby Wagner_Darksteel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 10:38 am

Hello all.

I'm from brazil, and I've been playing M&M for almost a week now. Although, with all that time of experience, I tried to make a build, out of a idea (that came to me out of a dream) and I simply cannot be sure it will be faithful to my original plot.

I'm making a char that has the Possession power. Here are the plot:

The was this guy who hated his own body so much and so deeply, he was "blessed/cursed" with the power to posses other's poeple bodies, but at a high price. He lost his own body in the process. He does not have a physical form of his own, nor a non-physical form.

If he is "inside" someone, he can only leave by "jumping" in someone else. If he enters a Nullification area or simillar he got "trapped" inside the body and the body's true owner come to conscious.

I thought I would make it "Permanent", which is a Flaw of the Continous duration. So I must first add the Continous Duration and then Add the Fla Permanent. But I'm not sure if this is "faithful" to my original idea.

Another question:
As my char has no body at all, can it have 0 in Str, Dex and Con without problems?

Could someone please help me with this build idea? How would the power be like that?

Thank you.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Possession Build

Postby kenseido » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:03 pm

Well the no body part is bought with Insubstantial 4, Continuous, Permanent.
You can buy down the STR to 0, but that means you can't even fight other Insubstantial beings.
Buy Dex to 0 and you can't move.
Buy CON to 0 and you need to buy Immunity to Fortitude, or you die.

Since Posession is Touch Range, you could buy it to Range Perception, and then your Dex to 0 and that accomplishes your goals. When Nullified, you will be trapped (by the inability to Move) in your current body, and the owner will be in charge. You can leave the Possession as Sustained in case you get stunned or otherwise incapacitated to show the owner regaining control of their body.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Wagner_Darksteel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wagner_Darksteel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:09 pm

In the book I have Possession is Perception Ranged.

And I won't have a incorporeal body, I will have no body at all, so I won't even be insusbitancial.
Would be a waste of points to buy insusbitancial and won't be able to "be" in an insusbitancial form, ever. Understand?

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:18 pm

insubstantial == "of no substance".
It matters not if you don't imagine the look of a ghostly form, you'll still need to pay for avoiding a body.
It is likely for example that a mentalist could throw you out of their body, which by your description would leave you nowhere.
And you'll need invisibility too or you will be visible when not actively possessing somebody.
It's not a waste of points: it is a defense against a lot of attacks that you'll have to pay for.
And as already pointed out, other insubstantial beings will be able to attack you directly, as will those with effects insubstantial.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:25 pm

Posession is Touch Range in Ultimate Power at 3pp/rank and Perception Ranged in Core at 4pp/rank.
Yeah, that makes no sense, but hey, whatever.

And what Doctor Devious said about Insubstantial. If you aren't Insubstantial, when you power is Nullified, you get thrown out of the body and are lying next to it. You have to buy Insibstantial for times when you aren't in possession of someone. You could also ride along with someone, not controlling them, just using them as a vehicle.

Wagner_Darksteel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wagner_Darksteel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:25 pm

I guess I couldn't explain myself better:

If I'm not possessing someone or if a mentalist throw me out by force I WOULD DIE! Because I really have no body at all, nothing that "keeps" me in this world, so I "need" others people body.

No having a body is not a advantage, it would be fatal! Got it now?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:25 pm

The game is built with the assumption that there is a body of some sort. Pertinent questions to ask:
Where does your character go if the target is in a null field?
Where does your character go if the target dies?

For most builds involving possession without a base body, this results in some kind of ghostly creature whose only ability is possessing others, which is pretty much the definition of Insubstantial 4 with null abilities (null abilities does mean that someone with Affects Insubstantial will be able to win any contest of strength with you as clarified in an ORQ which also includes a brief discussion of Jack-a-Knives who's an incorporeal possessing entity.

Ultimately, you need to answer the question who your character is when he's not possessing someone. If he has no existence outside of possession, you might look into Resurrection with Reincarnation so that if he dies, he winds up in another body, possibly with no choice as to which one he shows up in. I used that approach for Revenant.

Wagner_Darksteel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wagner_Darksteel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:34 pm

Answering your questions:

If the body enter a Nullification area he gots "trapped" inside the body, and the true owner of the body recharges control. Would be like I was the one possessed. I would be Unconscious inside of the onwers body. His mind would be in charge of his own body, not mine, not until he leaves the area and I could try again (which means, he would roll a save again).

If I got out by force (a.k.a expelled with a specilized power or the body dies), my "mind" would reach any nearby "target" with mind which would have to making the saving throw. If he succeds or there is no other target in the perception range (as per died due to a bomb), I would die.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:54 pm

Nullification will nullify all aspects of possession, including the "hitch a ride" aspect.
Looks like you'll be dead in no time I'm afraid.
The "If I'm thrown out I can immediately try for somebody else" would require a separate instance of the same power with reaction time required (sadly not an alternate power of the main possession power): it would get you one chance on another mind of it is game over.
And depending on your GM, if you try to move from one mind to another, they might rule that a failure to possess the alternative mind leaves you in possession of neither of them (having effectively "left" the first in order to attempt possession of the second), thus dead. Given your plan, that would be a cruel interpretation, but it is a viable one.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:11 pm

In short, your guy is probably not horribly viable in the game medium as you're writing him. However, you're not completely out of luck. Let's say that your guy is a virus of a sort. To possess someone, he has to enter into their system. Make him Permanently Insubstantial 4 with innate, which means he can't be rendered substantial by powers. Give him touch-range Mind Control. Remove his Dexterity so that he's immobile. Add Affects Corporeal to his strength. Now, to stay "inside" a target, he basically has to grapple them. While he's grappling them, he can attempt Mind Control on them and is protected by their body if attacked. To move between hosts, give him Teleport. To simulate him dying outside of a host, give him a Weakness which has a time interval that renders him nearly instantaneously gone and make it Deadly.

^_^ That's all kind of fiddly stuff, but it would make your character work as you wish.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:28 pm

Possibly duplication (inc. survival and limited actions) in there too?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Mon Jan 16, 2012 1:40 pm

I am not clear on why you are so against the Insubstantial option. It seems to fit your parameters better than most. You can even take a Weakness Drawback when you aren't inside a body, either possessing it, or just riding along.

Anyway, its your character, do what you want. I was just trying to come up with an easy solution for the problem you presented. I like the idea and the solution I presented.

Wagner_Darksteel
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Wagner_Darksteel » Mon Jan 16, 2012 3:56 pm

Sorry, I'm not against Insubstancial option, I just thought it wasn't exactly like I was looking for.

I thank all tips and builds. I'll give it some thought, thank you.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”