Quick X-Ray vision question

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Quick X-Ray vision question

Postby XLS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:01 pm

Running a game and a question occurred to me: Suppose Superman is standing on one side of a wall, and wants to use his X-Ray vision to see what's o the other side. But suppose the room on the other side is dark? Can I assume that he can see through the wall into the room, but can see no more than if he were there-- and so, without any sort of darkvision capability, he couldn't see much?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Quick X-Ray vision question

Postby kenseido » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:32 pm

Well from a strictly rule standpoint, X-Ray Vision is Penetrates Concealment, where is Darkness is an Obscure effect, so without some sort of Counters Obscure effect (like Infravsion, Ultravision, or Darkvision) or a sense that isn't visual that has the Penetrates Concealment, then the darkneess would still impede them, even if the wall doesn't.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Tue Jan 10, 2012 9:48 pm

It depends on how the 'X-Ray' vision 'works' -- by normal light, actual x-rays, or something else. Of course, both play fast and loose with physics, but so do most other super-powers.

Penetrates-Concealment Normal-Vision will only let you perceive anything illuminated by normal light (i.e. not obscured by darkness). The light in the next room somehow reaches your eyes without illuminating anything in your room.

Penetrates-Concealment X-Ray-Vision, will ignore normal darkness (assuming a source of x-rays) but will affect the information the GM feels can be revealed by a non-standard sense. E.G. you may only see 'hard' materials (bones, metals, stone, and so forth) and be unable to see clues in soft materials (like flesh, paper, fabrics, plastics, non-metallic paints, et cetera). Being told the target has a beard and a tattoo is useless if you can only see the bones of the crowd in the next room.

Of course, Penetrates-Concealment Cancels-Obscure Vision overcomes both these problems.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:56 pm

Eh... I disagree with you on that. It's all based off of the capabilities of the sense, not the descriptors. If it's normal vision with Penetrates Concealment, you can't see through the darkness any more than you could with your normal vision. Now if it's radar waves that were built specifically to counter Obscure and penetrate Concealment, that might be something else. :-P

Of course, said radar waves would only be able to show shapes, so the person would still be missing some niceties like color.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed Jan 11, 2012 4:46 am

Any realistic determination of X-ray vision is a nightmare: e.g. active or passive (i.e. where do the x-rays come from); what can you see / make-out as a result (without carefully screened backdrops etc, the answer would probably be "very little").

What superman has (IMHO) is an "monochromatic edge-view of significantly-different material density boundaries in a limited distance range X-to-Y (concentration required to focus), regardless of lighting but blocked by lead or super-dense materials" with a descriptor of "Active X-ray based". He probably has an additional concentration-dependant setting to adjust the "significantly-different density" parameter too, as I'm fairly sure he's done internal soft-tissue scanning.

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:04 am

kenseido wrote:Well from a strictly rule standpoint, X-Ray Vision is Penetrates Concealment, where is Darkness is an Obscure effect, so without some sort of Counters Obscure effect (like Infravsion, Ultravision, or Darkvision) or a sense that isn't visual that has the Penetrates Concealment, then the darkneess would still impede them, even if the wall doesn't.
This is what I figured. Thanks everyone for your help!

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 11, 2012 8:47 am

^_^ Furthermore, I know that Superman's "X-Ray vision" has been retconned at least once to actually be some sort of clairvoyance. It gets by a lot of the technical aspects of X-Rays plus it helps make sense of situations where he;s watching events as they happen several lightyears away.

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby XLS » Wed Feb 29, 2012 1:15 pm

dbasnhert wrote:Learn more about the x ray from careers in healthcare
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Thanks for the spam!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”