Destroying the World: What Does It Really Take?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Destroying the World: What Does It Really Take?

Postby cochramd » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:19 am

What is the approximate toughness of the Earth, and how much of that is Impervious? For that matter, I must ask the same of the moon and Mars.

Presuming that the DM has inanimate objects take 10 on their toughness saves, then a planet can be injured by any damage of rank (toughness subtract 4). That is assuming, of course, that said toughness is not impervious. If it is, the damage would need to be raised to whatever it takes to beat the Imperviousness. Then the heavy objects rule must be taken into account to determine what the threshold difference is for breaking and destroying the object. A planet will need to take 9+(threshold difference from thickness) attacks to become broken, presuming that the attack is made with a damage bonus of (toughness subtract 4). If the damage is higher than that, subtract one attack for each rank the attack exceeds (toughness subtract 4). The planet will then require 5 additional attacks to be destroyed. If the attacker Power Attacks or uses a full round action, they can shave 5 rounds off breaking the planet, plus whatever they gain from super strength if they're using a full round action.

For a planet the size of the Earth, the threshold difference is 28. For Mars, it is 27. For the moon, it is 26.

The Earth has taken hundreds of thousands of tank shells (rank 10) and bombs dropped from war planes (rank 12) and it seems only the soil layer is any worse for wear from it. It's taken nukes (damage over rank 15), and most of the damage was in the soil layer. It's also taken several hits from meteors. The meteor that caused the Chicxulub Crater and wiped out the dinosaurs I have calculated to be equivalent to Damage greater than rank 35. The Earth has also taken 2 meteors far larger than the one at Chicxulub, which caused the Sudbury Basin and the Vredefort crater. While these and many other meteors have left large scars that go all the way down through bedrock, none of them seem to have endangered the structural integrity of the Earth itself. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_im ... ed_by_size)

I ask all this because
A) One of the guys I'm playing with had a character in my GM's previous campaign. Long story short, his character sacrificed his life to activate his ultimate strength boost and used it to destroy an alien space ship that was a kilometer long, 1/3 a kilometer wide, 1/9 a kilometer tall and had a toughness a fair bit greater than 20. This triggered a galactic war (which thankfully did not end up including the Earth) and eventually led to the conditions seen in our campaign set in the year 2080, as well as the GM starting the campaign at PL 8 instead of PL 10. I want to know how plausible it is to one-up him by destroying a planet with my bare hands.
B) I want to construct the Death Star as a headquarters, not to use it or anything, just for my own amusement.

Thrincold
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Destroying the World: What Does It Really Take?

Postby Thrincold » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:48 am

Rank one blast power with a lot of area, linked weaken and alternate save fort. Set it up with a sustained duration, or lots and lots of secondary effect ranks and watch it die with a minimal effort. Objects don't have fort, so why attack the toughness of the earth when you can burn it off layer by layer.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:30 am

Your method would probably take years and years. Plus you need the Affects Objects Extra on your Drain power.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:56 am

Possibly add some form of contagion to the mix to get the destruction moving along: but in general, I kinda agree that most planet-busting will likely be via deliberately planet-busting means, rather than just a massive blast.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:52 pm

sustained corrosion would get there in the end but would just drilling a hole into the middle of the earth destroy it. I don't think so, that's what a volcanoe does. I also think that the core of the earth should be some crazy level of toughness, far more so than the rest of the planet. Burning off the surface of the earth as thrincold suggested is far more destructive short term anyway, whether you destroy the planet or not.

How much strength do you need to move the earth, dropping it into the sun would probably achieve the same effect. :P
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:36 pm

How about just teleport with lots of progression and dimensional?
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Postby cochramd » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:39 pm

poodle wrote:How much strength do you need to move the earth, dropping it into the sun would probably achieve the same effect. :P

It's funny, because they actually mention that right in the corebook.
FUN STRENGTH FACTS
The effective Strength required to move a mountain is around 225.
Moving the Moon requires Str 360. Moving the Earth requires Str 390.
Both of the latter two are considered “pushing” or “dragging” and
require some means of propulsion (Flight or Space Travel, for example)
and possibly Immunity (life support) to survive in outer space. Heroes
with perception range Telekinesis have an even easier time!

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”