Help with a Chi type build (sorta)

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Brolthemighty
Bystander
Bystander

Help with a Chi type build (sorta)

Postby Brolthemighty » Sat Dec 31, 2011 7:19 pm

Alright, so I'm pretty new to M&M, irregardless of which edition. I'm trying to get my head wrapped around the various styles and rules for the powers in order to properly represent my Hero, while keeping him effective.

So the theme of the Hero, is that he has absorbed the energy from a Black Hole due to a failed physics experiment in a room that he was cleaning (he's a janitor.) Due to this, and the fact that you can't just leave a Black Hole unchecked, he now has a control device on his chest that when deactivated, allows him to access his powers....for a time. So for the theme, I figured key words were Darkness, Density, Cosmic, and Gravity. Each has a tie in with Black Holes. You could also argue for Radiation. Power Level is 8.

Power wise, I'm looking at having most of it bundled in to a Battle Form, to represent the device being deactivated. Aside from that, I'm trying to decide on going with a Chi mechanic, or just straight up powers. I'm not sure which would be the best representation. I'm not even sure PL 8 is high enough to properly DO a chi mechanic based Hero.

So here are the powers I'm looking at:
Absorbtion (Energy) - Nothing escapes a black hole, not energy nor matter
- Use for Boost (Blast)
- Power feats: Energy Conversion
- Extra: Power Magneet
Darkness Control
- Alternate Powers: Energy Drain, Life Drain
Gravity Control
- Leaping

Those are the ones I'm looking at for the Battleform, and then as a continuous: Density, Enhanced Str, Con, and Impervious Toughness to represent the bleedthrough of the Phenomenal Cosmic Power of the black hole. Since you really can't fully contain one.

What I'm trying to represent is a combination of Juggernaught, and Hulk, with a bit of Bishop thrown in. He really gets his versatility once he enters the Battleform, but still has some powers without it as well. Anyone able to help me out with this? Does it work as is?

XLS
Mastermind
Mastermind

Re: Help with a Chi type build (sorta)

Postby XLS » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:06 pm

Hi Brolthemighty.

A few comments about your ideas (others will probably be better at actually helping with the nuts-and-bolts of the build).

First off, your concern about PL should be based on your GM and the sort of game that's being run. If your build is just for fun, then the PL should depend on the genre you imagine your hero belongs in. For me, for a guy with the sorts of powers you're thinking about, PL 8 is perhaps a bit low-- but it could work. Especially if he's a younger hero or, perhaps, really new to the whole thing.

As for the on/off concept, you can either create an alternate form (that is, you have the "normal" janitor who can switch to his "gravity well" form with an assortment of powers). There is also the Normal Identity Drawback to consider.

Brolthemighty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Brolthemighty » Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:35 pm

Yeah, in order to get the PP's to be able to do it, I've realized I'll need to bundle it all up in to a Battle Form, with the Secondary form extra.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:55 am

Brolthemighty wrote:Yeah, in order to get the PP's to be able to do it, I've realized I'll need to bundle it all up in to a Battle Form, with the Secondary form extra.

Make sure to run it all by your GM first. Battle Form is a particular form of flawed Alternate Form, and offers some substantial cost savings for flaws that may not be relevant to your game. The GM always has the final say as to what goes into his game, even for powers that are in the core book, let alone in the additional supplements like Mecha and Manga.

As regards the "chi mechanic", the version in Ultimate Power is just a descriptor. The system in Mecha and Manga is intended for where chi as a concept is pretty omnipresent. I don't think it's what you're looking for.

Brolthemighty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Brolthemighty » Wed Jan 11, 2012 3:39 am

Yeah, he's fine with me using Battle form. What I'm doing isn't nearly as horrifying as what the squirrel on our team can do.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:20 am

Brolthemighty wrote:Yeah, he's fine with me using Battle form. What I'm doing isn't nearly as horrifying as what the squirrel on our team can do.

{nods} So do you have it all figured out then? I'm still a bit confused by what you meant by a "chi mechanic" I'll admit.

Brolthemighty
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Brolthemighty » Wed Jan 11, 2012 1:22 pm

Well, I was going to see about using the Mecha and Manga Chi system, but realized (with a little help from the boards) that it really works better in a Chi campaign. I was just seeing if I was using the best game mechanics in regards to building my guy. I think I've got it figured out (for the most part.) Still working on the build of course, but the general feel and skeleton of it is done.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”