2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:23 am

kenseido wrote:I meant direct the energy being released away from you. If the energy is always relased around the character, the range is touch. If the character can direct it away some nearby people are unharmed, then it is ranged.

Oh yeah, then I guess it's touch lol. Sorry, I'm falling asleep lol. Pick this discussion up again tonight? It was a long night for me. Thank you so much for your help, Kenseido! I really, really appreciate you helping me out…Boost, it never occurred to me, and this had been driving me crazy, how to represent that power! Thank you so much! :D

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:33 am

Happy to help. Have a good rest of the day.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:34 pm

Don't forget that you need to pay for the Area extra on both powers, the Drain and the Damage.

poodle
Luminary
Luminary

Postby poodle » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:38 pm

IMHO it sounds more like an environmental effect. If you take the energy from the area around you everything is going to become real cold. If the psionics and the energy leeching occurred simultaneously then they would just be a linked effect. Otherwise I would go for drain fortitude/toughness to represent sucking the energy that keeps atoms locked together and boost Psionics.
cry havoc and let slip the poodles of war
Uncle friendly
My builds
Zephyr
Fixxer

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:07 pm

The character isnt sucking up ambient energy, they are creating a mini-fusion reaction and absorbing that energy to power their psionics.

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:51 am

Okay, I'm back lol! :D Sorry, my personal life is always so hectic that I never quite know when I'm going to have time for anything else! :!:
kenseido wrote:The character isnt sucking up ambient energy, they are creating a mini-fusion reaction and absorbing that energy to power their psionics.

You're quite right, Kenseido, about the character creating mini-fusion reactions and absorbing that energy to power their psionics, not sucking up ambient energy! I couldn't have explained it better myself, it makes me glad that you get my character's concept so completely! :D Although they can also absorb similar forms of energy from suitable sources (such as, say, a nuclear power station, a star, a Zero-Point Energy Device, etc) at a Touch range, sooo…

Oh and also, whenever they use their Living Fusion Reactor Array, it leaves behind faint traces of radiation. Not enough for a Drain Constitution or anything like that, but enough that someone with Detect Radiation could track that they've been there. And also, they can use it either at Touch range on matter around them, OR they can literally ingest/breathe in matter and perform the fusion inside her own body, so, definitely, if she misses that roll on the Side Effect, she's going to end up blowing herself up.

Some of these things, I'm not really sure which are just descriptors, and which can actually be represented in games mechanics terms. I'm one of those types that likes to represent everything I possibly can with rules (and feels the only thing that should be a descriptor is what type of powers they are—in my character's case, atomic and psionic), but yet at the same time, it's fate's cruel irony that I'm also the type to get a headache trying to remember all the power feats, flaws, drawbacks, modifiers etc etc etc lol, the very ones I want to use lol! :o

I don't know lol. I'll have to give it some more pondering and reflection…

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Sun Dec 25, 2011 10:55 am

As for absorbing other forms of energy, unless they can make their powers stronger than normal, an immunity, or limited immunity, would probably be better than absorption.

And faint traces of radioactivity would probably be best handled by noticeable drawback.

Matter eater can represent injesting matter and performing fusion on it. Just another AP, I think.

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:08 am

kenseido wrote:As for absorbing other forms of energy, unless they can make their powers stronger than normal, an immunity, or limited immunity, would probably be better than absorption.

And faint traces of radioactivity would probably be best handled by noticeable drawback.

Matter eater can represent injesting matter and performing fusion on it. Just another AP, I think.

Well, let's see…now that I've had much more time to ponder and reflect lol hehe :D

As for absorbing other forms of energy, she can make her powers stronger than normal by doing this! :) It's another form of Boost, I think. Not really an Immunity, that doesn't really fit with the concept I have in mind for the power—after all, she's not even immune to her own powers, if she looses concentration of the fusion, she could definitely be seriously hurt by it, same if someone else hit her with an attack of a similar type of energy and she wasn't ready to absorb it. For the same reason, it's not really Absorption either, though she could probably power stunt that off the array if she wanted.

What it is, I'm going to say, is Transfer. I noticed (in my handy-dandy UP, p. 144), mentioned as a potential AP under Darkness Control, Energy Drain. “Your darkness can absorb energy, giving you a Drain effect at your Darkness Control power rank, usable against any radiant energy source: heat, light, radiation, and so forth.” Alright, so that's basically a description of pretty close to the power I have in mind here, except I want it to also be linked to a Boost, sooo…yeah, Transfer, Limited to High Energy sources.

As far as the Noticeable drawback…apparently, Boost is already not Subtle so…I guess it'll just have to be part of the descriptors this time lol. Darn! :D And same for Matter-Eater too, I'd guess…it makes sense…but if you actually look at the break-down of what it is…it's a Touch-Range Toughness Drain, essentially. So the Touch-Range Transform could really represent the same power, I guess the fact that she does it internally or externally is…yeah, I hate to say it lol, just another descriptor teehee. :D

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:35 am

So I would think…and please do let me know if you see any technical errors here…that the final draft of the power array should look a little something like this:

Psionic Radio-Electrofusion (Psionic, Nuclear; Boost all powers [Power Feat: Dynamic, Flaws: Personal, Source [fusible elements lighter than iron], Side Effect [Disintegration as below, damages her], Alternate Powers [all dynamic]: Transform [lighter elements to heavier elements and vast amounts of energy; Power Feat: Innate, Extra: No Saving Throw, Flaws: Permanent, Range [touch], Side Effect [Disintegration as below, damages her], Disintegration [Extra: Area [explosion], Flaws: Range [touch], Side Effect [damages her], Drawbacks: Full Power, Lethal], Transfer [Energy Drain; Extra: Affects Objects, Flaws: Limited to High-Energy Sources [Nuclear Reactors, Stars, Zero-Point Generators, etc], Side Effect [Disintegration as above, damages her])

And the companion bit…

Drawbacks: Power Loss (all psionic powers, if unable to use psionic radio-electrofusion, no fusible matter)

Final Notes: Yeah, I know that making Transform permanent isn't really allowed, but it really wouldn't make sense for matter that's been fused into energy to go back to being matter somehow lol (unless maybe some plants turned the sunlight into food through photosynthesis :D) so oh well, I'm doing it anyway lol. The Side Effects are the -1 version that only takes effect if the character misses a roll or what-have-you.

I don't know. Does it look right to you, now? Hmmmm… :?:

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:21 am

Actually, to get that effect from Transform, you make it Continuous and Innate.

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:46 am

kenseido wrote:Actually, to get that effect from Transform, you make it Continuous and Innate.

Oh yeah, true. But then I guess my character could still “un-transform” the matter if she chose to, which doesn't really fit with my concept I have in mind…

Hmmm…as I look at it now, I think that, to make it balanced, it needs even more flaws, like maybe a Check Required [Knowledge (Physical Sciences)] or Concentration to use each power…Hmm…

Does a flaw or extra or whatever applied to the base power automatically apply to all the AP's? Or do you have to apply it to each one individually? I'm pretty sure you have to apply it to each one individually, don't you?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:36 am

I think the official answer is No. However, I have seen people use that to produce some really unbalanced characters. I would say every AP's final cost has to be the same as the final cost of the base power. But that is probably more of a clarification or House Rule.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:41 am

RhimeFyre wrote:Does a flaw or extra or whatever applied to the base power automatically apply to all the AP's? Or do you have to apply it to each one individually? I'm pretty sure you have to apply it to each one individually, don't you?

Yes, you would apply it to each individually to each effect for the most part, especially because it changes the cost of individual powers. Feats and Drawbacks do better for applying it once for every power. And, of course, you can always use shorthand at the top of the array to indicate that "the following" is applied individually to each power although the pricing still works out as being applied individually.

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:31 pm

Alright, so, I think this should be all correct now. I'd appreciate it if anyone could take a few minutes to look it over and confirm or deny that for me. :D Thanks everyone! :wink:

Psionic Radio-Electrofusion (Psionic, Nuclear; Boost all powers [Power Feat: Dynamic; Flaws: Personal, Source (fusible elements lighter than iron), Side Effect (Disintegration as below, damages her), Check Required (concentration)]; Alternate Powers [all dynamic]: Transform [lighter elements to heavier elements and vast amounts of energy; Power Feat: Innate; Extra: No Saving Throw; Flaws: Permanent, Range (touch), Side Effect (Disintegration as below, damages her), Check Required (concentration)]; Disintegration [Extra: Area (explosion); Flaws: Range (touch), Side Effect (damages her), Check Required (concentration); Drawbacks: Full Power, Lethal]; Transfer [Energy Drain; Extra: Affects Objects; Flaws: Limited to High-Energy Sources (Nuclear Reactors, Stars, Zero-Point Generators, Ambient Energy Fields, Planet's Electromagnetic Field, etc), Side Effect (Disintegration as above, damages her), Check Required (concentration)])

Drawbacks: Power Loss (all psionic powers, if unable to use psionic radio-electrofusion, no fusible matter or absorbable energy)

RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan

Postby RhimeFyre » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:46 pm

Well, let's see, I looked it up in my handy-dandy UP, p. 110:

FLAWS
Alternate Powers can have their own individual flaws, which reduce the cost of the Alternate Power (and the number of Array power points that must be allocated to it) normally. If a particular flaw applies to all the configurations of an Array, then it may apply to the Array as a whole, the same as with extras.

Example: All the Alternate Powers of an Array have the Tiring flaw. The GM may permit the application of Tiring to the Array itself, reducing its cost to 1 point per rank (1 power point per 2 points in the Array). The Array’s effects are acquired at their normal cost, without the Tiring flaw, but the flaw applies equally to all of them, since it is applied to the Array overall.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”