2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:01 am

Uggggh. This is driving me crazy, I'm getting so frustrated with this. :cry:

I know, I know, this is what I get for going such long stretches of time without even playing any M&M or being around on the Think Tank at all or anything, and then jumping right back in and trying to figure out how to stat up a character with a really complex array(s) of powers, right off the bat, without even easing back in with something simpler first…especially considering how I've never been that great with statting up characters lol. But I really try lol!

Could you guys please help me out a little here? Any help would be appreciated. :D

Oh, and I'm still using 2E, not 3E, so please keep that in mind, for those who still have their 2E books lying around and can help.

Ok, so, the character concept I'm trying to create here basically has two different power arrays going on…they're related but not the same. One is kind of a “nuclear being” type power, similar to, say, Captain Atom, Doctor Manhattan, Firestorm, or Sebastian Shaw as he is portrayed in X-Men: First Class. The character I'm creating is described as a “living fusion reactor”. So ok, you say. Simple, right? Radiation Control array. Boom, done. But no. Because, see, my character fuses the atoms of whatever is in their surroundings (usually air) to gain their energy (like how Superman gains his energy from the yellow sun), but my character doesn't then take that energy and use it as a radiation power…

That's where their second power array comes in. They're a powerful psionic. They take the energy they get from the nuclear fusion and the direct it back out as psionic powers (I'm giving them a psionic array that is basically modeled on the Magic power, just with a psionic descriptor). Okay so I'm just trying to figure out how to represent this…I know what you might say. “M&M is an effects-based game. The nuclear thing doesn't need to be its own power, just give the character the Power Loss drawback, When There's No Matter To Fuse or Only Matter Heavier Than Iron (such as in space or completely entombed in heavy metal) -2”, and obviously I will give them that, but still, I want to represent the fusion as some kind of power.

But what?? It's driving me nuts. Transform? (Transform what? Lighter Elements into Heavier Elements and Lots of Energy? Absorption, maybe? But that's for damage. Disintegrate? Matter-Eater?) I guess it has to be Transform. It's just so hard to reflect such an “invisible” game effect. Any one have any thoughts? But then again, they should also be able to Disintegrate things as a fusion reaction and Absorb from other nuclear reactors at Touch range, oh and of course, it should have a Side Effect flaw, where if they mess up the roll, they lose control of the radiation and it hits everything with like rank 20 Burst Area Disintegration with 20 Progression on it lol. I know I'm over-thinking this and making it more complicated than it needs to be, but…

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:43 am

I guess the question is, what can the hero do with the "fusion effect" outside of absorb the energy from the microscopic fusions happeneing to power his psionic abilities. You want to represent it, then ask what would people see? Would it mean he can slowly transmute matter he touches? Or is the effect subtler than that?

If its just there to fuel his powers, then I would say its mostly descriptor and wouldn't have an actual representation in Powers. However, with that descriptor, you might be able to power stunt some unusal powers off your psionic array.

At least, if I were GMing, that is what I would rule.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 12051
Joined: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:21 pm
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby Shock » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:55 am

I agree. If it's just a power source, there's no need for it to be a power.

User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:49 am

Shock wrote:I agree. If it's just a power source, there's no need for it to be a power.

Lol, that is what I figured people would say lol…

From earlier:
RhimeFyre wrote:“M&M is an effects-based game. The nuclear thing doesn't need to be its own power, just give the character the Power Loss drawback, When There's No Matter To Fuse or Only Matter Heavier Than Iron (such as in space or completely entombed in heavy metal) -2”, and obviously I will give them that, but still, I want to represent the fusion as some kind of power.

Lol. Yes, I know it could, maybe even should, be just a power source and a descriptor, but I'm feeling really OCD about this. I really want to have some Power to put down on the write-up to show for this aspect of their abilities lol. I guess it'll just have to be Transform. :)

kenseido wrote:I guess the question is, what can the hero do with the "fusion effect" outside of absorb the energy from the microscopic fusions happeneing to power his psionic abilities. You want to represent it, then ask what would people see? Would it mean he can slowly transmute matter he touches? Or is the effect subtler than that?

If its just there to fuel his powers, then I would say its mostly descriptor and wouldn't have an actual representation in Powers. However, with that descriptor, you might be able to power stunt some unusal powers off your psionic array.

At least, if I were GMing, that is what I would rule.

Yes, she can use her fusion to transmute the matter she touches (and do it quickly if she wants, too, not just slowly), but doing so would release a WHOLE lot of energy and probably Disintegrate everything within the range of whatever continent the character was on if she didn't immediately absorb it and carefully redirect it slowly back out as psionic powers. :mrgreen:

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:01 am

So maybe the effect is an Area Burst Damage effect. You wouldn't need to worry about the Transmute part, since the energy released would likely damage/destroy the transmuted material as well.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:11 am

And for what it's worth, I totally get where you are coming from with wanting to match the exact power. I was working on a solar battery character, who had a reserve of energy replenished by sunlight. So each use when out of sunlight made it weaker. When I discussed it here, everybody suggested Power Reserve with a limited Flaw, Fades when not in sunlight - which is pretty close to what I wanted.

Except I wanted Sunlight to recharge the reserve, slowly. If the reserve was drained and he entered sunlight, he would need to wait a bit to recharge, and if forced to use his powers, they wouldn't recharge.

So I came up with Power Reserve with Fades and a Boost 1, Reaction (Exposure to sunlight), Self Only, Restorative combo. It creates a lot more math and wasn't a point saver, but it felt more accurate to the concept.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:12 am

kenseido wrote:So maybe the effect is an Area Burst Damage effect. You wouldn't need to worry about the Transmute part, since the energy released would likely damage/destroy the transmuted material as well.

Right, true, and that is what I was originally thinking, except that she usually is trying to absorb the Damage so…hmm, maybe it's an Area Burst Damage (or Disintegration) linked to Energy Absorption? With the Power Magnet extra? Hmmm…Does that sound right? Lol. :?:

User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:15 am

kenseido wrote:And for what it's worth, I totally get where you are coming from with wanting to match the exact power. I was working on a solar battery character, who had a reserve of energy replenished by sunlight. So each use when out of sunlight made it weaker. When I discussed it here, everybody suggested Power Reserve with a limited Flaw, Fades when not in sunlight - which is pretty close to what I wanted.

Except I wanted Sunlight to recharge the reserve, slowly. If the reserve was drained and he entered sunlight, he would need to wait a bit to recharge, and if forced to use his powers, they wouldn't recharge.

So I came up with Power Reserve with Fades and a Boost 1, Reaction (Exposure to sunlight), Self Only, Restorative combo. It creates a lot more math and wasn't a point saver, but it felt more accurate to the concept.

Yeah, exactly! It's tough to get the exact right powers for the concept you have in mind! It's a lot easier to just be lazy and go, “Oh just make it a descriptor, close enough!” Lol. :o

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:18 am

I would probably do it as a Boost and AP the Area Burst Damage. Maybe make it Dynamic, with the thought that if you don't want to absorb all the energy created (simulated by the Boost), some of it is released as damage - or more likely, you don't want to do full damage, so you absorb some of it.

I am pretty sure there is some sort of rule against using Energy Absorption on your own attack. Besides Energy Absorption is so expensive, and unless absorbing all energy is in their repotoire, its not really necessary.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:34 am

kenseido wrote:I would probably do it as a Boost and AP the Area Burst Damage. Maybe make it Dynamic, with the thought that if you don't want to absorb all the energy created (simulated by the Boost), some of it is released as damage - or more likely, you don't want to do full damage, so you absorb some of it.

I am pretty sure there is some sort of rule against using Energy Absorption on your own attack. Besides Energy Absorption is so expensive, and unless absorbing all energy is in their repotoire, its not really necessary.

…Yeah, Boost, that works. Of course, it seems so obvious now lol. Don't know how I overlooked it.

An array, something like this…

Living Fusion Reactor
Boost (Source (–1) Fusable Matter), Side Effect, Dynamic
DAP: Transform (Lighter Elements into Heavier Elements)
DAP: Disintegration (Area Burst)

How does that look lol? :D
Last edited by RhimeFyre on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:36 am

Well I personally would go with a straight Damage effect, instead of Disintegration ("NO DISINTEGRATION."), but otherwise it looks good.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:44 am

kenseido wrote:Well I personally would go with a straight Damage effect, instead of Disintegration ("NO DISINTEGRATION."), but otherwise it looks good.

Lol haha yeah, “No Disintegrations” lol. From Star Wars. But the only reason I chose Disintegration over straight Damage, is to simulate the extremely destructive nature of the fusing plasma which is basically like the interior of a star and, if released, is so hot that it literally de-atomizes all matter into a quark–gluon plasma. Or something like that lol. :P

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:57 am

Glad you got the reference.

Since you are going with Disintegration, unless you can direct the effect, I would pick Corrosion due to the No Range factor.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

User avatar
RhimeFyre
Partisan
Partisan
Posts: 629
Joined: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:19 am

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby RhimeFyre » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:07 am

kenseido wrote:Glad you got the reference.

Since you are going with Disintegration, unless you can direct the effect, I would pick Corrosion due to the No Range factor.

Oh, true. But wait though, they can direct the effect, it's one of the AP's. :D

User avatar
kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity
Posts: 21184
Joined: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:57 am
Location: Kyle, Texas
Contact:

Re: 2E, Trying To Figure Out How To Build This Complicated Power

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:13 am

I meant direct the energy being released away from you. If the energy is always relased around the character, the range is touch. If the character can direct it away some nearby people are unharmed, then it is ranged.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters


Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests