Index of Official Rules Answers & General Resources

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Disintegrate and Corrosion

Postby Paragon » Tue Dec 02, 2008 6:06 pm

I just had it brought to my attention that the fact Corrosion and Disintegrate are essentially pre-built linked powers (with the implications for Extras and Flaws that that brings) is only apparently mentioned in an old answer to me from Steve here:

http://www.atomicthinktank.com/viewtopi ... ate+linked

I know that's well known to us oldtimers, but as became obvious to me from a couple responses on the Hero Labs area, not so much to newcomers.
And we by this sole token;
Know we once were gods;
Take shame in being broken;
No matter how great the odds.

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Disintegrate and Corrosion

Postby Elric » Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:57 pm

Paragon wrote:I just had it brought to my attention that the fact Corrosion and Disintegrate are essentially pre-built linked powers (with the implications for Extras and Flaws that that brings) is only apparently mentioned in an old answer to me from Steve here:

viewtopic.php?t=11834&highlight=disintegrate+linked

I know that's well known to us oldtimers, but as became obvious to me from a couple responses on the Hero Labs area, not so much to newcomers.

I just want to mention that I added this, and have been expanding the index (see the first post of this thread) when I spot appropriate items. If anyone spots similar points that deserve to be covered here, but aren't, let me know. It's unfortunate that we've now gone an entire year without any Official Rules Forum answers, but for the foreseeable future we'll have to make do with what we have.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Elric's Index of Official Rules Forum Answers

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Dec 23, 2009 6:19 am

This may be a gimme for most people, but it was useful to find in this answer that it's a single Concentration check against all sustained powers when stunned.

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Re: Elric's Index of Official Rules Forum Answers

Postby Elric » Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:49 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:This may be a gimme for most people, but it was useful to find in this answer that it's a single Concentration check against all sustained powers when stunned.

Good idea. I added it.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Elric's Index of Official Rules Answers & General Resources

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Mar 03, 2010 7:56 pm

This one bit me after almost two years... range on a Ranged Area effect. For the longest time, I thought that the statement that Area effects have only one range increment, and that would be the standard Rank x 10 feet. This created the somewhat bizarre effect that a Ranged Explosion would always wind up up ending tangent to the origin if not enveloping them and a few ranks of Area Progression could lead to wielding the Thermonuclear Hand Grenade (blast radius of 5 times the distance you throw it). I recently had reason to question that (i.e. I acutally played a character with a ranged area attack) and found that Steve Kenson had stated that ranged area attacks had a single range increment and that this increment was Rank x 10 x 10 feet, i.e. the maximum ranged distance.

In the first post, he also notes that a "nice option" is applying a -2 reduction to the reflex save of the attack for each regular range increment (rank x 10) past the first one, up to the ten range increments. I personally like that house rule and intend to use it.

^_^ But it seemed like a good ORQ to post.

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Wed Mar 03, 2010 10:26 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:^_^ But it seemed like a good ORQ to post.

Thanks, added. I'm not sure if this thread is being used very effectively by people, as it doesn't have many views despite the fact that it's got to be easier to use this thread than to run "Advanced Searches" to find many ORQ answers. Do people just not know it's here?

Oh well, the cost of creating it is sunk :)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:29 am

Elric wrote:Thanks, added. I'm not sure if this thread is being used very effectively by people, as it doesn't have many views despite the fact that it's got to be easier to use this thread than to run "Advanced Searches" to find many ORQ answers. Do people just not know it's here?

Personally, it's my first stop when I run into somewhere that I'm confused with my second being a search on ORQ and my third being posting in the forums (the fourth generally being throwing my hands into the air, catching them, and going along with a house rule that makes sense to me whether or not it agrees with official wisdom).

My armchair-HMI analyst persona says that it being pinned is, in some ways, a hindrance to people noticing it. How often are pinned topics just the rules of the forum or a message stating that no flamewars will be allowed. The fact that it's at the very top even more makes people skip over it. *wrinkles nose* Thing is, it deserves to be at the top... at least in my opinion.

Paragon
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Paragon » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Elric wrote:
FuzzyBoots wrote:^_^ But it seemed like a good ORQ to post.

Thanks, added. I'm not sure if this thread is being used very effectively by people, as it doesn't have many views despite the fact that it's got to be easier to use this thread than to run "Advanced Searches" to find many ORQ answers. Do people just not know it's here?

Oh well, the cost of creating it is sunk :)

I suspect a lot of people tend to mentally screen out the stickies and what all at the top of the forum; add in the people who don't even think to look in this forum (look at the number of rules questions that pop up in General sometime) and its just kind of an unavoidable problem.
And we by this sole token;

Know we once were gods;

Take shame in being broken;

No matter how great the odds.

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:08 am

Your effort hasn't been wasted, Elric. I've had to train myself to do it, but I've been remembering to come to this thread first rather than the ORQ, especially instead of trying to search for a response that I vaguely recall seeing once.

Millennium
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby Millennium » Sun Mar 28, 2010 2:28 pm

Yeah, it's not a wasted effort. This thread is now my go to place before I do any other searches.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:59 pm

^_^ For entirely selfish purposes (read that I had to look up the URLs for answering this on a post), could you add links to Steve Kenson's comments on allowing Attack Specialization on arrays and narrow descriptors?

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:29 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:^_^ For entirely selfish purposes (read that I had to look up the URLs for answering this on a post), could you add links to Steve Kenson's comments on allowing Attack Specialization on arrays and narrow descriptors?

Done! In other news, this is now the only sticky thread in this forum, which should make it more visible.

Andrew0213
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Andrew0213 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:02 am

I've just started a M&M campaign and I've got a few questions. I'm not sure I'm reading the improvised weapons rules right. Am I right in saying that the character using an improvised weapon only gets their normal damage bonus unless the object being used as an improvised weapon has a toughness exceeding their damage bonus and even then it it a maximum of +2?

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Tue May 04, 2010 8:52 pm

Andrew0213 wrote:I've just started a M&M campaign and I've got a few questions. I'm not sure I'm reading the improvised weapons rules right. Am I right in saying that the character using an improvised weapon only gets their normal damage bonus unless the object being used as an improvised weapon has a toughness exceeding their damage bonus and even then it it a maximum of +2?

Welcome to the boards! In the future, you should post rules questions to their own thread, as they'll be seen much sooner.

You are correct. There's some debate over whether improvised weapons can get around the usual PL limits; here's another recent thread on that topic.

slaughterj
Luminary
Luminary

Postby slaughterj » Tue May 11, 2010 8:23 am

Elric wrote:Uncanny Dodge: What exactly does Uncanny Dodge protect against

Hero Points/Extra Effort:
If you spend a hero point to shake off a stun when it is inflicted, treat it as if the stun result never happened, so none of its subsequent effects (e.g., Knockback, having to roll a concentration check to keep a Force Field up) do either.

Here's a suggestion, but it may take some time. Many of the entries are like the one for Hero Points / Extra Effort above, i.e., they include the link and provide the answer. But some are like Uncanny Dodge, and are phrased as a question or otherwise do not provide the answer. While some may be a bit longer than can succinctly be described with an answer, many could be handled with short answers. So if possible, if those without answers could be reviewed and updated to include a brief answer if reasonable, especially those involving in-play matters, that would be very useful. (Then I could just have a handy printout at games, rather than scrolling, clicking through links, etc.)

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”