Hard Light bullet Damage...and other stuff

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Godfallen
Zealot
Zealot

Hard Light bullet Damage...and other stuff

Postby Godfallen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:31 pm

ok...so I am creating a character thats "summons" hard light weaponry.
Problem is...do you treat hard light projectiles as physical or energy??
Same for a hard light knife...physical or energy?

also...I need something in the way of a....chain fed rail gun....but I seen nothing much, cept maybe the grenade launcher, that exhibits the damage that a rail gun does.
also...if i remember right...a rail gun shoots a ballistic at high speeds...but the ballistic is technically "encased" in energy....how do I write that up?...penetrating??
whatever doesn't kill you....makes you stranger

Glayven
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Glayven » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:39 pm

Solid energy constructs are doing damage via the impact, not the energy, so I would say damage from Hard Light projectiles is physical, but I might have Immunity: Light protect from it.

As for rail weapons, the projectiles are not encased in energy. They are ferrous metal slugs being diven at high speed by a magnetic field. Give it a high Blast damage, depending on the size of the weapon (pistol, rifle, canon, etc...), and perhaps flaws like Distracting or Action: Full Round.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:55 pm

What is a chain fed rail gun? I ask because the concepts of a chaingun and a railgun don't really work out too well toegether. In a chaingun, the chain drives the mechanism - which won't really be present (or necessary) in a railgun.

Glayven
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Glayven » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:28 pm

Chain guns are not operated by chains. The ammunition being fed into it is linked together by small metal clips, creating the chain metaphor.

It typically refers to multi-barreled rotating action automatic weapons.

Godfallen
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Godfallen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:08 pm

The ballistic from a rail gun still holds an electro magnetic charge...a.k.a energy.

Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:16 pm

Godfallen wrote:The ballistic from a rail gun still holds an electro magnetic charge...a.k.a energy.

But it is not the charge doing the impact. It is the ballistics. A bullet is very hot coming out of a gun but you are not taking Fire Damage from it. You are taking impact Damage. The EM Charge is the propellant not the thing causing the Damage.
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

JackGiantkiller
Mastermind
Mastermind

Postby JackGiantkiller » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:28 pm

I completely agree with Black Mamba, here.

That said, I have built guns in the game that shoot bullets or bolts that are energized. Just apply all apropriate descriptors. Assume half and half if someone is immune to one of the types of damage, and you are set.

Godfallen
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Godfallen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:53 pm

ok...so that solves that bit of a problem...now...whats the closest I should take for the chain fed Rail Gun? grenade launcher? Blaster rifle?

Glayven
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Glayven » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:06 pm

Rail gun rounds are not explosive, so grenade launchers are in appropriate.

Essentially, you are just shooting bullets at them, just with (in theory) alot more force. I'd use the stats for a Blaster Rifle, but ballistic damage and autofire.

Are you looking to use it as equipment, rather than a device?

Godfallen
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Godfallen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:21 pm

Glayven wrote:Rail gun rounds are not explosive, so grenade launchers are in appropriate.

Essentially, you are just shooting bullets at them, just with (in theory) alot more force. I'd use the stats for a Blaster Rifle, but ballistic damage and autofire.

Are you looking to use it as equipment, rather than a device?

yes and no...it's part of an arsenal array that can be accessed through weapon summoning as part of a Power Armor. The character is rather high-tech, in fact, all the weapons are Hard-light constructs.

HappyDaze
Luminary
Luminary

Postby HappyDaze » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:26 pm

Chain guns are not operated by chains. The ammunition being fed into it is linked together by small metal clips, creating the chain metaphor.

No. What you're referring to is a 'disintigrating belt' for feeding ammunition into the weapon.

From Wikipedia:
A chain gun is a type of machine gun or automatic cannon that uses an external source of power, rather than diverting energy from the cartridge, to cycle the weapon, and does so via a continuous loop of chain similar to that used on a motor or bicycle. "Chain gun" is a registered trademark of Alliant Techsystems Inc.[1] for a chain-powered weapon.

Like I said, a railgun wouldn't really need this to help it cycle.

Glayven
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Glayven » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:32 pm

Huh.

I learned something today.

Sweet.
Last edited by Glayven on Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Godfallen
Zealot
Zealot

Postby Godfallen » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:35 pm

HappyDaze wrote:

No. What you're referring to is a 'disintigrating belt' for feeding ammunition into the weapon.

From Wikipedia:
A chain gun is a type of machine gun or automatic cannon that uses an external source of power, rather than diverting energy from the cartridge, to cycle the weapon, and does so via a continuous loop of chain similar to that used on a motor or bicycle. "Chain gun" is a registered trademark of Alliant Techsystems Inc.[1] for a chain-powered weapon.

Like I said, a railgun wouldn't really need this to help it cycle.

It's also got military slang terms as "chain ammo" and being "chain fed." I have also heard "belt fed" though as well....however...good research!!!

Glayven
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Glayven » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:39 pm

That said, the reason for using the chain is that the normal gas powered cycling of the bolt is not fast or precise enough for the desired rate of fire. the same technique could certainly be applied to a rail gun. More likely, even, as rail guns don't have the option of gas powered cycling.

In the end, it is simply a question of style. I normally conceive of rail guns as single shot, heavy damage weapons, but having your machine gun fire magnetically propelled rounds is cool and high tech, so hell's yeah.

So long as you pay thr EPs for autofire on the blaster rifle, what does it matter?

Devonapple
Groupie
Groupie

Postby Devonapple » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:41 pm

The intent I am hearing is to have a cool-looking rail gun with lots of barrels that spin, fed by a belt of rail ammunition that happens to retain some electromagnetic charge.

Current technology notwithstanding, the gun can work however you and the GM want it to work. Fictional rail guns usually achieve autofire speeds with just one barrel, but who knows? Maybe this one uses a lower-tech firing barrel which can't take the EM pulse quite as effectively, requiring a 'recharge' time for each barrel while another barrel is firing. Or maybe the loading mechanism is the bottleneck.
-- Devon

------------------------------------------------
http://www.greentides.com/devon
http://devonapple.livejournal.com
Dreams of Deirdre

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”