"Power Knuckles" vs. Brass knuckles..error??

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Black Mamba
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Black Mamba » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:23 pm

Elric wrote:But as Taliesin said, I just don't see power gauntlets as equipment thematically. If you do allow power gauntlets as equipment, then you should expect them to be quite common among Costumed Adventurer and Martial Artist types who fight unarmed. However, I think that should be a rare construct (what it would be if you treat the gauntlets as a device), not a very common one (what it would be if you treat the gauntlets as equipment).

"Quite common" is not a criteria for Equipment choices based on two Archetypes. For just a few PP I can have a Destroyer or Battleship as Equipment. There is nothing "quite common" about a superhero having those; yet they are quite possible within the rules.

The problem is not with the Equipment choice. The problem is with some people's inability to look beyond their own genre veil. M&M is not one-size-fits-all in design. There is a difference between a Batman campaign and a JLI campaign. If your mindset is Batman campaign then yes, Power-Gauntlets are going to seem out of place - and as a GM you then say NO to the player who wants them as Equipment. If your mindset is JLA then they are not out of place. That is an internal prejudice which has nothing to do with the game itself. There is a difference between the Bat-bomb which blows open a door in Batman: The Animated Series and the Bat-bomb which blows up tanks in the JLI, yet they would both be Equipment. The game was not designed for one genre or one set of ideologies. The game is designed to say: "Here are all your options. Pick and choose what best fits your gaming style and needs."
In this world of armchair bloggers, who've created a generation of critics instead of leaders, I'm actually doing something. Right here. Right now; for the city. For my country" - Oliver Queen, Smallville

Taliesin
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Taliesin » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:28 pm

It really comes down to being campaign specific. Street-level campaigns aren't going to have energy blasters or power knuckles as Equipment, whereas a pseudo-futuristic campaign will.

The line is a fine one, admittedly. Where Mr. Freeze's freeze gun is certainly a Device in a Batman comic, an equally advanced Intergang blaster gun might qualify as Equipment in a Superman comic. I think here, you have to say, if the mooks in your campaign can get a hold of it, it's probably Equipment, even if it's a Device in your main villain's hands.

The GM really has to take steps to treat Equipment as exactly that and allow them to be easily destroyed.

Elric
Overlord
Overlord

Postby Elric » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:42 pm

Black Mamba wrote:The problem is not with the Equipment choice. The problem is with some people's inability to look beyond their own genre veil. M&M is not one-size-fits-all in design. There is a difference between a Batman campaign and a JLI campaign....

That's why my post said
Elric wrote:However, I think that should be a rare construct (what it would be if you treat the gauntlets as a device), not a very common one (what it would be if you treat the gauntlets as equipment). That obviously depends on the campaign, though.
3e Builds, 2e Builds, Index of 2e Official Rules Answers & General Resources (includes character creation and fight examples)

ninjakid
Bystander
Bystander

Re: "Power Knuckles" vs. Brass knuckles..error??

Postby ninjakid » Wed May 30, 2012 6:52 pm

hi guys im new in this forum can u explain if whats the difference between power knuckles and brass knuckles?coz im interested on it thank u :D :D
“A man of courage never needs weapons like camillus, but he may need bail.”
Man Of Courage: ninjakid

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: "Power Knuckles" vs. Brass knuckles..error??

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed May 30, 2012 7:40 pm

ninjakid wrote:hi guys im new in this forum can u explain if whats the difference between power knuckles and brass knuckles?coz im interested on it thank u :D :D

Honestly? Brass knuckles are real. Power knuckles are a comic book thing invented to justify the guy with normal strength being able to hurt the really tough guys. They're typically handwaved as involving either something mechanical to increase the impact or involving some sort of contact explosives to increase the damage of the blow.

Inviktus
Comrade
Comrade

Re:

Postby Inviktus » Thu May 31, 2012 4:01 pm

Elric wrote:As far as I am aware, you cannot take an Array of Devices. You can take one device with different powers, but that's a weaker construct than an Array of Devices that functions like a Utility Belt (see: here).

Given that you can make an Array of entire characters, via Metamorph, why can't you build an Array of Devices? Is it that it's just not explicitly spelled out as allowed or not allowed?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Re:

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu May 31, 2012 6:41 pm

Inviktus wrote:Given that you can make an Array of entire characters, via Metamorph, why can't you build an Array of Devices? Is it that it's just not explicitly spelled out as allowed or not allowed?

I think that the issue is what happens when one item is disabled whether by being smashed or being disarmed. With an array of devices, suddenly that price break doesn't seem all that justifiable. Enemy disarmed you of Excalibur? No problem, you've got Durandal, Masamune, and Murasama on tap for 1 pp each.

Similar situation to the "5 uses" Unreliable Flaw.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”