Mimic Power and Extra Subjects?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Hustlar
Bystander
Bystander

Mimic Power and Extra Subjects?

Postby Hustlar » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:38 pm

A friend of mine is trying to write up a character that uses the Mimic power to basically permanently absorb powers from defeated monsters and the like by eating their hearts. We're both new to the system and while I'm not sure that Mimic is the best fit for that kind of power I suppose it could work well enough, but we're both a bit stumped at the extra subjects part of the Mimic power. From what I could find on this forum it sounds like you only have one pool of points from Mimic that you divide among the traits as you wish with Extra subjects allowing for more potential options. On the other hand he thinks each subject is a new pool of points like a second use of the power or some such which seems pretty crazy good to me, but the language is confusing and might very well be the case. So my question is kind of two-fold, how exactly does Extra Subjects work with Mimic and is there any better way mechanically to represent a guy who wants to permanently steal the powers or a part of the powers of defeated foes in a mechanically balanced way?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Mimic Power and Extra Subjects?

Postby kenseido » Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:29 pm

I think what would work best is an Array of Alternate Forms. When the enemy is defeated, the hero can power stunt the new powers off the array and buy an new Alternate Power at the end of the adventure.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 28, 2014 6:07 am

First off, Multiple Subjects is a bad extra. Mimic is built off of Variable with a descriptor of "other peoples' powers" and a -1 Source Flaw of "Must have subject available to mimic". Extra Subjects, as a +1 extra, should bring you back to baseline, able to retain as many powers to mix and match as you'd like within GM approval. You are still limited to the 5 x Rank number of power points to use, of course, and the GM may occasionally have you make a check of some sort to remember a powerset you haven't used in a long time. As Kenseido pointed out, if you have a series of core forms and you always switch entirely into each powerset, an array makes sense. If you mix and match, Dynamic arrays start getting a bit iffy, but I'd probably allow it if there are discrete portions of powers such that you might decide you want Wolverine's claws, Beast's prehensile toes, and Angel's wings without also picking up other baggage such as healing factors, increased intelligence, and healing blood. If you don't abuse it (some players try to have a dynamic array of forms so that they can buy 3 dynamic slots instead of 12).

To answer the second part, there really is no fair way to set up a "take away your powers forever" power, but if you build that as a Continuous Nullify, they keep getting longer gaps between saves as per the time and distance progression table, so it's pretty close to Permanent. Note that if that has Alternate Powers, switching powers means they start making new saves every round again.

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Postby Greyman » Sat May 03, 2014 4:49 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:To answer the second part, there really is no fair way to set up a "take away your powers forever" power, ...
I'm fairly sure the "eating their hearts" bit handles the permanence. Basically he wants to make a Sylar.

Sovereign's 2ed roll call on Sylar basically uses a Variable power limited to powers of people whose brains he's examined.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”