Damaging Teleport

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Damaging Teleport

Postby TheComet » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:21 am

Hi all!

I'm working on a character called Stormfront. She's an electrical energy projector and has the usual Flight, Blast, yadda yadda yadda.

However, she has an unusual mode of Teleportation. If she's outside, she can cause a lightning bolt to strike her, teleporting her to another location with another lightning strike. Anyone and anything she teleports with her -- except herself, of course -- takes electricity damage from the lightning bolt.

What's the best way to build this?

The two ideas I'm batting around are:

Make a Strike power Linked to her teleport.

Make a custom limitation that anything she carries with her takes electricity damage equal to her ranks in Teleport?

I'm sort of favoring the latter, since the damage is automatic. Anything like a Strike or Blast would require an attack roll or Ref save or something. Or is there an even better way to work this?
Organic material taken form the core of Halley's Comet in 1987, seeded into a humanoid form and given sentience: she is THE COMET!

Shock
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Damaging Teleport

Postby Shock » Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:32 am

Since you could teleport just about anywhere, I'd make it a drawback that a teleport is required. Then you make the Strike grab-based because you'd have to get a hold of unwilling targets in order to teleport them.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Damaging Teleport

Postby FuzzyBoots » Fri Apr 18, 2014 11:50 am

You could build the Damage as a Reaction power. It would cost you a pretty penny, but it would work and it makes it go off every time you teleport to anyone and anything touching you. Another cheaper option, if you assume that she has to do "charge up" for the teleport, is to use the Triggered power to "set up" the teleport by spending the Move action with the set trigger of "When I hit opponent with Lightning Strike", then fire off that Lightning Strike damage power, possibly with some sort of Requires Grapple to model that she has to get hold of the person first.

Part of the problem here is that the game has rules that essentially only allow you to do two things at once if they're essentially the same thing (two attacks of the same range, two healing/boost powers, etc) and partly that you're mixing a benefit (hurt opponents as you move) and a drawback (hurts anyone else you're holding while moving) and then trying to turn it into something mechanical. How often do you see either happening?

You could possibly set it up as a Side Effect on the Teleport, but that would be for if it hurt you as well, and I'd put that squarely under GM control as to when it happens.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”