Attractive

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
AKA Alex
Bystander
Bystander

Attractive

Postby AKA Alex » Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:41 am

The Feat - Attractive

What do you all think of the Feat? Is it just a skill bump purchase feat or does it actually tell you something about the character? Do you just assume that all PCs have it without the skill bump (meaning- all characters are good looking.... hay, they are super heroes)?

I have this general rule within my own head-

- No attractive - and you are somewhere between- "you should get points back for your appearance," and "you could almost be good looking." All that depends on the description of the character.

- Attractive 1 - and you might be the best looking person in say 10 or 20 people

- Attractive 2 - is the prettiest girl in school, or the guy that gets all the women at the bar. Maybe one in three or five hundred has 2 points in the feat.

- Attractive 3 - is not unheard of, but its few and far between. You are going to have trouble with disguises, and things like that. People stare at you, people are intimidated by your looks.

Attractive 4 - that is as high as it goes without some magic or mad tech or something. The best ten looking people in the world have 4 points.

Now because appearance is subjective to the viewer....

I am trying to get some real info here, so please, lets be respectful. Thank you.
Sometimes I feel like a noob and sometimes I do not. Mostly I feel unlike myself so don't blame me.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Attractive

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Apr 10, 2014 11:19 am

Mechanically, I see it as exactly what it is, a bump in your Bluff or Diplomacy, but only in cases where you're taking advantage of your looks. Two ranks is usually as high as I go, especially since this counts as skill ranks when it comes to PL. Generally handy to consider that it doesn't necessarily have to be a "sexy" vibe. I'm inclined to add a single rank for child or "cute" characters to model the idea that they can use their cuteness to their benefit, but only against people susceptible to puppy-dog eyes.

Any negative effects are just Complications in my mind.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Apr 10, 2014 3:14 pm

I think maybe Attractive is the one area that 3e got it right

Because Attractive counts against your skill caps (which is admittedly, pretty high), it still means you basically have to be undercapped against people who don't find you attractive. Not always an issue but is Bluff and Diplomacy are your bread-n-butter skills, then it can hurt.

Right now, my house rule is that Attractive counts towards your Ability Modifier maximum. I might switch to 3e rules for it.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

AKA Alex
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AKA Alex » Sat Apr 12, 2014 3:11 pm

I suspect that I might often forget the caps when it comes to attractive, perhaps because I (myself) often fall for whatever a beautiful woman says or does. :D
Sometimes I feel like a noob and sometimes I do not. Mostly I feel unlike myself so don't blame me.

Ysariel
Paragon
Paragon

Postby Ysariel » Mon Apr 21, 2014 4:49 am

Beyond a certain level, beauty and attraction are subjective, so to me Attractive does not mean being more appealing on an objective scale. I interpret it as knowing how to use your looks to manipulate people, and if I see Attractive 2 on a character I am more likely to think 'vamp' than 'hot'.
My stuff • I GM Emerald City Knights, Adventures Assemble! (with kenseido)

AKA Alex
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AKA Alex » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:56 am

Ysariel wrote:Beyond a certain level, beauty and attraction are subjective, so to me Attractive does not mean being more appealing on an objective scale. I interpret it as knowing how to use your looks to manipulate people, and if I see Attractive 2 on a character I am more likely to think 'vamp' than 'hot'.

Where in I see Vamp at Attractive 3.

I agree that beauty is subjective.

So what is the experience with Attractive that stands out in your gaming experience?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:42 am

AKA Alex wrote:So what is the experience with Attractive that stands out in your gaming experience?

It usually leads to "*roll* That's a 15, +7 for Bluff, another +4 if they find me attractive" in my experience. Ideally, players should indicate if they're "trying to use their wiles" although I can see a basis for people simply reacting favorably to an attractive person. Properly played, there should be descriptive text and/or Complications as a result of it (the latter since sometimes you'll try to "use your wiles" and blow it because the other person bats for the other team, or someone else will get jealous or angry at your actions). Players are deliberately setting themselves up for it when they choose to try to use their looks, and passively getting set up when it just happens.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”