Passive or Active Skill - Sense Motive

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
AKA Alex
Bystander
Bystander

Passive or Active Skill - Sense Motive

Postby AKA Alex » Fri Mar 28, 2014 7:43 pm

So an NPC is lying to the PCs, the Players trust the NPC so they believe him, saying nothing about Sense Motive.

My general rule as a GM is to let the players roll whenever they say- "is this person lying?" or "does he believe the load he is dishing?" or whatever fits the interaction.

I will generally roll SM for the players at a -5 to skill if it furthers the campaign or the lie will lead them off to fish in a wrong pond (so to speak).

What part of this is right (I mean rules wise not my terrible writing skills)?
Sometimes I feel like a noob and sometimes I do not. Mostly I feel unlike myself so don't blame me.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Passive or Active Skill - Sense Motive

Postby kenseido » Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:14 pm

Well, the idea with Sense Motive is that even if the players believe the NPC, the NPC may not tell the lie well enough.

You may be with your best friend who has no reason to lie, but if they tell it in an untrustworthy manner, you might start to question it.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

AKA Alex
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AKA Alex » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:15 am

'k thanks

Basically tells me I have been a jerk. :oops:

Of course it has made for some interesting play. :twisted:

I will drop them a couple more Hero Points and explain (they could use the HP they are about to go up against a big bad). :D

Thanks 8)
Sometimes I feel like a noob and sometimes I do not. Mostly I feel unlike myself so don't blame me.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:19 pm

It's a tricky thing, particularly given there's a canonical feat of "Truth Sense" which states
You can make an automatic Sense Motive check when you hear someone telling a lie or hiding the truth, whether you suspect them of duplicity or not. This is basically an application of the Super-Senses (detect) power.

which implies that Sense Motive checks might not be automatic. One way to handle it is an immediate (hidden?) Sense Motive check upon meeting someone that determines how trustworthy they feel to you and that partially governs how often you make a check when someone tries to lie to you.

AKA Alex
Bystander
Bystander

Postby AKA Alex » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:36 pm

Fuzzy,
I was unaware of that Feat. I would have made the conclusion jump off of that.

Emm, seems a simple mistake. Editors and writers can not cover all fronts.

Perhaps... its an edition thing- I am running 2e. What edition does that Feat appear in? (I find it confusing that an edition would make that much of a difference)

Again, thank you.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Mar 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Mecha and Manga, page 44. You could also read it as telling you directly that they're lying to you instead of having that vague sense that the person opposite is snowing you, and being unsure as to how much of what they're saying is a lie, a bold exaggeration, or omitting facts.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”