Multiple Attacks: Beholder Rays

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
KarolineDianne
Groupie
Groupie

Multiple Attacks: Beholder Rays

Postby KarolineDianne » Fri Mar 28, 2014 5:19 pm

So I'm trying to design a character/monster/villain/boss/etc that's very much like the Beholders of D&D. Specifically, having many appendages that can be aimed and pointed in multiple directions at once, and able to fire blasts of various types at multiple foes every turn.

Unfortunately, I can't seem to find any rules for this sort of thing. Most topics I've seen have adopted the 'use Autofire' approach, which in most cases does make plenty of sense. The issue here is that the character would be targeting multiple foes with different powers. A disintegrate beam at this guy, turn that one to stone, charm the other, etc.

I'm aware this is potentially very overpowered if not properly limited and flawed and otherwise checked in place, but it seems a little disappointing that I can't recreate this classic boss monster without just GM-Fiating it or using a convoluted system of conjoined minions to represent each eye-stalk.

Anyone have any suggestions?
You can own the Earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: Multiple Attacks: Beholder Rays

Postby Doctor Devious » Sat Mar 29, 2014 3:18 am

Possibly a somewhat complex array-of-arrays power could achieve the overall effect. It should be a lot quicker in play than conjoined minions and still allow for specific-eye attacks (both by the beholder and on the beholder):

Array of power effects: Array [Damage; Drain; Nauseate; Disintegrate; Dazzle; ... ] <Number APs == number of eyes>
Each power effect can be applied in an array of three 'eye-combination' methods: (i.e. this is an array-of-arrays)
Narrow focus <main + other eyes> (Ranged)
Wide focus <main + other eyes> (Ranged; Area cone)
Individual Eyes (Touch, Area blast; Selective) Quirk <0pp> each selected target gets a different member of eye-power-list (-1pp if randomly selected)

One should allow attackers to stunt a "drain" attack that removes one of the eye-effect-APs if the attack hits and is not resisted (a.k.a. takes out an eye stalk). One could even consider a flaw (-1/rank) that freely gives any attacker this option on any attack.

The nicest aspect to this is that it scales from one to many opponents without getting silly in the single-opponent case.

KarolineDianne
Groupie
Groupie

Postby KarolineDianne » Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:37 am

The area blast with the 'each target gets a different beam' quirk is actually really cool. I like that. Though at the same time, it does make all the rays automatically hit and give the targets reflex saves for half or no damage.

Another question I'd have with this setup is the cost of the array. Since technically the character CAN use multiple rays at once, do they still count as alternate powers?
You can own the Earth and still, all you'll own is earth until you can paint with all the colors of the wind.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:56 am

You are quite right that I played fast-and-loose with the "single setting" of an AP: I've got nothing to back that up, but the pros and cons look fairly well balanced - and if something doesn't really benefit you, nor really hinders you, it should be zero cost.

As for costs, a simple example might be as follows: (though the "random" attack per subject is not well expressed in the below - might need a structuring of the nesting or something - the cost should be in the same ball-park though)

Total Cost: 44pp or so.

Immunity: "Drain Beholder's eyes" - trait effect but not total immunity: residual 1pp drain if attack was successful (thus 1 eye power removed for a successful drain) - cost? say 4 pp.

BEHOLDER'S EYES: 40pp
Quirk (Drawback?) "Drain Beholder's eyes" targets AP power-points first.
PL 10; Eight APs, 32pp available to each AP
Disintegrate: Distracting (-1), Affects insubstantial (+1pp); Incurable (+1pp); Rank 10 (32pp) <Main-eye super-blast!>
Alternate powers (8 alternates)
Heat attack (32pp): see below
Lightning attack (32pp): see below
Dazzle attack (32pp): see below
Paralyze attack... Drain strength attack... Nauseate attack and so on...

Heat attack: PL 10; 32pp (30pp available to each AP)
Blast <Heat>; Penetrating (+1); Rank 10;
Alternate powers (2)
a) Blast <Heat>; Area cone (+1); Rank 10
b) Blast <Heat>; Area blast (+1); Selective (+1); Touch range (-1); Rank 10

Lightning attack: PL 10; 32pp (30pp available to each AP)
Blast <Electricity>; Autofire (+1); Rank 10;
Alternate powers (2)
a) Blast <Electricity>; Area cone (+1); Rank 10
b) Blast <Electricity>; Area blast (+1); Selective (+1); Touch range (-1); Rank 10

Dazzle attack: PL 10; 32pp (30pp available to each AP)
Dazzle <Sight>; Autofire (+1); Rank 10;
Alternate powers (2)
a) Dazzle <Sight>; Area cone (+1); Rank 10
b) Dazzle <Sight>; Area blast (+1); Selective (+1); Touch range (-1); Rank 10

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:05 am

Probably the "fairest" way of building it is as a series of immobile sidekicks or minions (depending on whether a single failed save takes them down) with separate powers and attached to the beholder. That way, each gets their own attack.

Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby Cinder » Tue Apr 01, 2014 2:50 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:Probably the "fairest" way of building it is as a series of immobile sidekicks or minions (depending on whether a single failed save takes them down) with separate powers and attached to the beholder. That way, each gets their own attack.

This is how I would do it, too.

digitalangel
Groupie
Groupie

Postby digitalangel » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:31 am

You could pull out the multiattack feat from 2E. Kinda expensive, but with as much as multiple attacks a round can break M&M in some ways it is supposed to be.

5PP/rank, use a full round action (only get a 5ft movement) and you get an additional attack that round for each rank of multiattack.

Another possibility, but I'm iffy about it, is set up all the eyes as linked attacks (yes I know linked powers of the same effect are always a caution point), with a benefit/flaw that they can/must target different targets as to not break PL. That way roll a single attack roll and then just declare which affects are aimed at which targets all with a common attack value.

Possibly as linked attacks with area, but a flaw that each power can only hit 1 target each.

Just food for thought.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:49 am

Just to clarify, that Multiattack is from the 2E Mastermind's Manual, a book with a large number of optional rules. Out of all of the books, it's the one considered least Rules As Written when it comes to "It's in the book, so I can have it, right?"

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”