Transform

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Krozlan
Bystander
Bystander

Transform

Postby Krozlan » Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:27 pm

6pp/rank version
With Selective and Pricise

Would you allow a player to do the following:

Transform 5lbs of concrete on the support beam of a structure in to 5lbs of C4, attach a transmitter and cap and then walk away and use datalink to blow it? (in this case I made him make a knowledge check vs chemistry to get the C4 right)

Or for that matter use Transform to "slice" a 5lb plane of the concrete (into air) out at a 45 degree angle so that the support beam slips bringing down the building.

Really the question is with the right skill checks can transform really, or should it really be allowed to, create highly complecated materials and electronics items ( computers, working phones, etc) out of air? or other base raw materials?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Transform

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Feb 18, 2014 6:07 am

By the book, you cannot Transform just part of the structure. but if they have something else of sufficient mass (say a decorative Aqua Team Hunger Force LED display), they could hang that up there and transform it. For use of Create Object and Transform to create complex objects, I generally require a Craft check (with bonuses for items that are done routinely, or if it's a narrowly focused Transform where it makes sense that the character would be able to routinely produce a perfect kumquat when transforming because that's what he turns everything into) or possibly a Knowledge check. Outside of that, it's a Rule 0 situation. Will allowing the power to work that way cause issues for the game? If a player has a reasonably cool idea for a one-off, you might just let them get away with it that time, or to have them build it as an AP (for example, APing Damage (Triggered) for the bomb or Disintegration/Corrosion for the latter one) and then giving them a Hero Point to ward off the Fatigue from Extra Effort.

Krozlan
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Transform

Postby Krozlan » Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:52 pm

I tend to shy away from 1 off allowances in general as I have a couple of hardcore min-max'ers/powergamers that would eventualy try it again or keep pushing the envelope with what they could do.

I tend to try and say yes to most things. I just remind my gamers that whatever clever crap they come up with the bad guys can do it to. And if what they do is holy hells OP and they blow away everyone in one shot...well the next bunch of guys they go after may not be such push overs and maybe they have been doing their homework, keeping files on the teams tactics ect. so that they have an advantage in their encounter. Regardless I tend to have pretty amazing games that my players beg to keep going, on a rare ocassion it gets out of hand and suddenly I realize I have literal gods on my hands and we are doing battles on a cosmic level. That's when I have all the players meet at the resturant at the end of the universe.

The only thing I absolutely do not allow from the get go is time travel. Too many games have disentigrated into a 1000 year jaunt into the past to amass wealth, power and knowledge and secure certain locations of extreme value ( diamond mines, gold mines, world wide coffee bean production) I've even had players save the Inca's and try and become their supreme and everlasting blood gods( WoD Vampire campaign...long story ;) )

That is one of the reasons I wanted to try this system out again, it's one of hte only ones that has somethign in place to allow Extra Effort or Heroic Action. There is a "plausible" reason the character was only able to do it once, never to be duplicated awesoem feat or action. I guess I'll go with Rule 0 and EE/HP and just flow with it....as usual ;)

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”