Attack that only works from behind, how to model it?

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Attack that only works from behind, how to model it?

Postby Bwgustaf » Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:22 pm

So i have an illusion-based villain that uses a "special" sneak-attack weapon that causes damage by being thrust into the back of the target's neck. The thing is that weapon doesn't actually "exist" until it penetrates the neck. So what would be the best way to model this while still giving the combat advantage to the PC's? Thanks

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Attack that only works from behind, how to model it?

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:38 pm

Bwgustaf wrote:So i have an illusion-based villain that uses a "special" sneak-attack weapon that causes damage by being thrust into the back of the target's neck. The thing is that weapon doesn't actually "exist" until it penetrates the neck. So what would be the best way to model this while still giving the combat advantage to the PC's? Thanks

I'll admit that I'm not quite following what you're asking for. Probably the easiest way is to put a Limited that it only works on flat-footed or vulnerable opponents, typically the situation for Sneak Attacks. I'm really not certain what you mean by "giving the combat advantage to the PC's" though.

Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Bwgustaf » Sun Feb 09, 2014 12:35 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:
Bwgustaf wrote:So i have an illusion-based villain that uses a "special" sneak-attack weapon that causes damage by being thrust into the back of the target's neck. The thing is that weapon doesn't actually "exist" until it penetrates the neck. So what would be the best way to model this while still giving the combat advantage to the PC's? Thanks

I'll admit that I'm not quite following what you're asking for. Probably the easiest way is to put a Limited that it only works on flat-footed or vulnerable opponents, typically the situation for Sneak Attacks. I'm really not certain what you mean by "giving the combat advantage to the PC's" though.

Giving the PC's a way to prevent the weapon from materializing by anticipating the "attack". He can't use the weapon at all unless he flat-foots the target, not even against inanimate objects. Basically if it should be limited or power loss.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Sun Feb 09, 2014 2:16 pm

Bwgustaf wrote:Giving the PC's a way to prevent the weapon from materializing by anticipating the "attack". He can't use the weapon at all unless he flat-foots the target, not even against inanimate objects. Basically if it should be limited or power loss.

Depends on frequency. If he's Concealment-heavy or Stealth-heavy, I'd probably go for Power Loss, since they'll only be catching him at it on occasion. If you anticipate them catching on at least half of the time, I'd go for Limited.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”