Teleport Question

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
SovereignPrince
Bystander
Bystander

Teleport Question

Postby SovereignPrince » Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 am

I'm working on a character whose main focus is teleporting and using portals for various effects. I think I have most of him stated out but I'm running into trouble with a concept I'd like for an attack. I have this idea that he'd be able to tap into his spacial awareness to teleport in varied effects for attacks, like say dropping a glacier on someone or conjuring up a spray of lava through a portal. So far I have the power mapped out like this:

Variable Effect 3; Extras: Affects Others Only, Ranged; Flaws: Limited to attacks, (Unreliable - 5 or Check Required: Awareness)

I was wondering if I even needed the Teleport: Portal Extra linked onto that or would Variable Effect encompass that with just a little rp flavor for the portal description? Also I'm debating between Unreliable - 5 for the flaw or an Awareness check. I'm not sure which would fit more appropriately.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Teleport Question

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:41 pm

If your only intent is to hit people with various bits of teleported matter, I'd actually say just build it as Blast with Variable Descriptor 2. Or, alternately, Create Object with some sort of Variable Descriptor (so that there's actually material left behind).

SovereignPrince
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SovereignPrince » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:26 pm

FuzzyBoots wrote:If your only intent is to hit people with various bits of teleported matter, I'd actually say just build it as Blast with Variable Descriptor 2. Or, alternately, Create Object with some sort of Variable Descriptor (so that there's actually material left behind).

Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking of, with the material left behind. That might work out better with the cost and I didn't want this ability getting too crazy. How's something like this?

Create Object 7; Extras: Attack, Variable Descriptor 2 - Elemental, Innate, Area - Shapeable; Flaws: Permanent, Limited to Damage Effects, Check Required: Awareness)

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:57 pm

SovereignPrince wrote:Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking of, with the material left behind. That might work out better with the cost and I didn't want this ability getting too crazy. How's something like this?

Create Object 7; Extras: Attack, Variable Descriptor 2 - Elemental, Innate, Area - Shapeable; Flaws: Permanent, Limited to Damage Effects, Check Required: Awareness)

There is no Attack extra on Create Object. There is a built in "drop this object on their head" area attack. Permanent is a valid Flaw, but requires you to first buy Create up to Continuous (so it's a zero-sum thing). Check Required is a contentious subject on the boards with the general feeling being that it should give roughly a 50% chance of failure, probably a bit lower since you're required to buy the skill points and/or could be working impaired.

SovereignPrince
Bystander
Bystander

Postby SovereignPrince » Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:52 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:
SovereignPrince wrote:Thanks! That's exactly what I was thinking of, with the material left behind. That might work out better with the cost and I didn't want this ability getting too crazy. How's something like this?

There is no Attack extra on Create Object. There is a built in "drop this object on their head" area attack. Permanent is a valid Flaw, but requires you to first buy Create up to Continuous (so it's a zero-sum thing). Check Required is a contentious subject on the boards with the general feeling being that it should give roughly a 50% chance of failure, probably a bit lower since you're required to buy the skill points and/or could be working impaired.

Oh I gotcha. I probably should have realized the built in Area Attack, considering you're literally conjuring something up out of thin air. I can understand the contention behind Check Required and I figure unreliable might be a better fit since this is supposed to be a somewhat forced ability of his that takes long range teleportation to get the trick done.

Create Object 7; Extras: Variable Descriptor 2 - Elemental, Innate, Continuous; Flaws: Permanent, Limited to Damage Effects, Unreliable - 5

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”