Shapeshift and Mythic Creatures

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Karadur
Bystander
Bystander

Shapeshift and Mythic Creatures

Postby Karadur » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:53 pm

My son wants to be able to shapeshift into mythic beasts IE minotaur, Pegasus etc. I'm trying to figure out how many points to spend so that he can effectively do this and to complicate this further the power is derived from a device with the Restricted Power Feat: bloodline. The shapeshift itself obviously would be limited to mythic beasts only. He made his base form fairly bland so he has a lot of power points to spend 128ish...

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Shapeshift and Mythic Creatures

Postby Narsil » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:19 pm

With a hard-to-lose device, that gives you 31 ranks or so...

This gives you 155 points, which can be spent on 20 ranks of limited shapeshift, while giving you fifteen points free for a few other effects. You would under this system have around 100 points to spend on various magical traits.

If you were to use an easy to lose device, this would give you 42 ranks with 210 points available to spend, giving you a full 30 ranks of the shapeshift power with 150 points to spend.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

Karadur
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Karadur » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:39 am

Narsil wrote:With a hard-to-lose device, that gives you 31 ranks or so...

This gives you 155 points, which can be spent on 20 ranks of limited shapeshift, while giving you fifteen points free for a few other effects. You would under this system have around 100 points to spend on various magical traits.

If you were to use an easy to lose device, this would give you 42 ranks with 210 points available to spend, giving you a full 30 ranks of the shapeshift power with 150 points to spend.

Thanks for the help but unfortunately i have more questions! So when the character shapeshifts into a minotaur how do I stat that out? What about when he shifts into something much different like a griffin?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:42 am

Karadur wrote:Thanks for the help but unfortunately i have more questions! So when the character shapeshifts into a minotaur how do I stat that out? What about when he shifts into something much different like a griffin?

:) You stat it out with the powers of said minotaur or griffin. If you're looking for templates, Jabroniville has some builds of fantastic creatures to crib from as has prodigyduck. Otherwise, your son just adds the powers he needs within the framework of Shapeshift, presumably with some amount of Morph to model that he becomes unrecognizable when he changes.

Honestly, Shapeshift, and other Variable constructs, are some of the hardest ones to use for a beginner, because they're so complicated. If he has a few main forms he plans to use, I advise building those are part of an array using Alternate Form or the Metamorph construct of Morph. It's often cheaper at the mild expense of slightly less flexibility.

Karadur
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Karadur » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:08 am

Great links thank you very much.

Karadur
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Karadur » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:27 pm

With a little more research I feel like Animal Mimicry might work better. I understand it's not the spirit of the power exactly but it would be simpler and then we can use some of the beasts from the links above (thanks again). I'm not super concerned with 100% rules adherence since this is a for fun family game and story matters more than crunch anyway. Thoughts?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:08 pm

Animal Mimicry and Shapeshift are pretty much the same power. The only real difference is Animal Mimicry you gain the traits without the appearance.

You are not limited to the PL of the creature with Shapeshift. If the wolf is only PL3, you can definitely make the form a PL10 wolf.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

The Guardian
Bystander
Bystander

Postby The Guardian » Thu May 01, 2014 6:27 am

Build the creatures as an array of Alternate Forms with each additional creature as an alternate power.
For example

Minotaur form [ 120 points]
* Alternate Power: Pegasus form [ 1 point]
* Alternate Power: Centaur form [ 1 point]
* Alternate Power: Gorgon form [ 1 point]

Give each form the attributes and powers appropriate to the form. For example the Minotaur would be very strong and have a powerful Strike attack with its horns, The Pegasus can fly etc.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”