Making it Nighttime

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Making it Nighttime

Postby Bwgustaf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:10 pm

What darkness-based powers would a character have if he could make it night as part of his concept? I'm assumeing the power would be limited range and not permanent.

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Making it Nighttime

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:49 pm

Straight off, I'd say Environmental Control. There's an entry there for reducing things to low light, but also a note saying that complete darkness should be modeled with the Obscure (Visual) power. Both of us are predicated on a mechanical effect of reducing the amount of light in an area to No or No light. If your player is wanting something more comprehensive, such as making it so that "night only" powers work, I'd price it based on how much effect it could have on the character (If they're loaded with "Limited (at night only)" powers, then this is far from a trivial effect), but usually, it's be Environmental Control (Visibility) to reduce things to low light.

Bwgustaf
Hireling
Hireling

Postby Bwgustaf » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:28 pm

So he took Darkness Control but i have a couple more questions. Since he's creating night and not complete darkness can he automatically see through the night he created, & how would you represent the scope of the nightfall covering the sky (i.e make it city ranged, or make it extend to perception-range)?

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Bwgustaf wrote:So he took Darkness Control but i have a couple more questions. Since he's creating night and not complete darkness can he automatically see through the night he created, & how would you represent the scope of the nightfall covering the sky (i.e make it city ranged, or make it extend to perception-range)?

I would be inclined to entirely make it mechanics-controlled. Does he have Penetrates Concealment for his night effect? Did he pay enough into his Concealment to cover that large of an area? (I'm working partly from the assumption under the "Darkness Control" power in Ultimate Power as to how his power works). If his "Darkness Control" employs a different mechanic, of course, the answers would differ, if nothing else, by verbiage.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”