Tricky Alternate Power question

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Tricky Alternate Power question

Postby Ash Williams » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:44 am

I've thought of creating a character who can assume a Solid Form, a la Colossus. However, due to injuries incurred in the past, the character has to stay in said Alternate Form. It's not "locked"; they're able to switch back to normal if they choose to do so. It's just that doing so would aggravate their injuries even further, possibly becoming lethal. Any ideas as to how to utilize this idea with the power writeup?
Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future. - Iroquois Pliskin

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Tricky Alternate Power question

Postby Narsil » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:07 pm

Alternate Form (Extra: Continuous [+1]; Flaw: Side Effect [weakness if deactivated, -1]; 5pp/rank)
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'
-The Fourth Doctor, Terror of the Zygons

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:50 pm

Given the normal form is likely to be much less powerful anyhow, I'd probably just go for it as a Complication for the occasional time that it affects things and degrade his "normal" stats so that he's appropriately low on vitality when in that form. Using it as a Side Effect is a bit iffy to me, since that basically saves more points than him having the Weakness on all of the time.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:08 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:Given the normal form is likely to be much less powerful anyhow, I'd probably just go for it as a Complication for the occasional time that it affects things and degrade his "normal" stats so that he's appropriately low on vitality when in that form. Using it as a Side Effect is a bit iffy to me, since that basically saves more points than him having the Weakness on all of the time.

My issue is the fact that the power would have to be continuous, and that'd kind of unfairly drive the cost up a wee bit.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

'Oil, an emergency? About time the people who run this planet of yours realize that to be dependent upon a mineral slime just doesn't make sense.'

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:02 am

I see both sides of the argument, Narsil.

While it might seem to drive the cost up, making the form Continuous means the Weakness will not activate that often. Even less than a Hard to Remove Device, I think.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:08 am

It would, however, have the effect of making him actually pay points for having a weakness that a cheaper made superhero would not, whereas my way of handling it would be at least a net +0.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Dec 19, 2013 6:47 am

Alternately, he could make his "alternate" form his actual permanent stats. The circumstances where it gets cancelled out will be rare, so there's no real need to build in the mechanics of it (Power Loss could work, I suppose). The Complication would still apply. The only potential issue in this is situations where he chooses to drop his alternate form willingly, but a single (underpowered, with little more than stat reductions and a powerful Morph (single form) to his human appearance) AP could work for that.

Narsil
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Narsil » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:28 am

An alternative could be an 'if powers are nullified or drained' weakness.
Narsil 2e
Narsil 3e

Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Tricky Alternate Form question

Postby Ash Williams » Thu Dec 19, 2013 7:54 pm

I've had time to think, and here's another possible arrangement:

Rather than an Alternate Form, just have the powers without the AF setup. And give him/her the Normal Identity Drawback, as well as Weakness (if reverted to Normal Identity; -1 CON per minute, potentially lethal; Uncommon, Major [or whatever]).

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”