Device help

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Device help

Postby Ash Williams » Sat Nov 09, 2013 2:04 pm

My group's doing a setting that's about 50% sword and sorcery, 1/4 Elric Saga, and 1/4 Marvel's version of Asgard. Most of the characters have a custom archaic weapon, built as a Device (with various upgrades/enhancements, as is the case in most of these stories).

My character's gonna be carrying a Spartan-style spear & shield as his Weapon Of Choice. Question: Should I build the two items as two separate devices, or simply make the shield's functions Alternate Powers from the spear? Another possible option a teammate suggested was set it up like this

Device (orichalcum spear, easy to lose; etc. etc.): Spear's abilities; Alternate Power: Device (orichalcum shield, easy to lose)

Would this work? Or is the first way (making the shield's functions Alternate Powers) better?

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Re: Device help

Postby kenseido » Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:31 pm

You run into an issue that your GM is going to have to rule on. The rule of arrays is that if something disables on power in the array, then they whole array is neutralized.

In other words, if you get disarmed of your spear, then you also lose the shield as well. Some GMs may house rule that, but RAW, that is the rule.

Also, by having attack and defense in the array, means you are not going to hit all your caps all the time.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Re: Device help

Postby peregrine » Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:36 pm

Yeah, you can do it like that, but that's a shield that turns into a spear and vice versa. You'll only be able to get the benefits out of one at a time.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”