User-Based Device APs

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

User-Based Device APs

Postby TheComet » Thu Oct 03, 2013 2:19 pm

Here's a conundrum I've stumbled into...

Suppose I wanted to make a character with a device, say, a gun, with Blast 8.

I want to give him a variety of 'gun tricks' he can perform, which I'd build with APs. However, since the APs come from his skill with using the gun and not as a different 'setting' for the gun itself, how would I do that?

Here's an example...

Blast 8

The character can also, as a full-round action, wheel around in a circle and shoot at every opponent around her. This becomes...

Blast 8 (Cone Area (80 ft. cone - General), Selective Attack; Action (full), Range (touch))

However, she can do this because of her skill with the gun, not because the gun has an "area effect" setting.

Basically, can her AP feats be part of her combat feats, and not AP's associated with the gun itself?
Organic material taken form the core of Halley's Comet in 1987, seeded into a humanoid form and given sentience: she is THE COMET!

Greyman
Luminary
Luminary

Wyoming Knots.

Postby Greyman » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:25 am

Basically, you want feats that each apply a +0 Modifier to Blast powers with the 'gun' descriptor; a floating alternate power feat.

You'll need to pass it by your game-master, but this does seem reasonable. You're paying for the device's power as normal, and you're paying for the feats at full price; without the device discount.

If allowed, check what descriptors you're allowed to apply the 'training' to. Any gun or riffle, only certain types/calibers, or just your device.

If it's the later (or disallowed) then consider instead purchasing the alternate powers within the device and add Restricted 2 (Only by you; Limited to trick-shots) onto the container.

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Re: User-Based Device APs

Postby Doctor Devious » Fri Oct 04, 2013 3:37 am

Sounds more like an in-game extra-effort or HP alternate/feat.
If the player wants to do this a lot, use the luck power limited to gun-feats only (super-skilled with guns).

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:39 am

I think this falls under the Mecha and Manga Fighting Style/Weapon Style power. I totally agree with the thinking. In anybody else's hands Cap Shield or Wonder Woman's bracelets are not that super-special. So that should be reflected in the build.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Wyoming Knots.

Postby TheComet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:55 am

Greyman wrote:You'll need to pass it by your game-master, but this does seem reasonable.

I am the GM. :mrgreen:
Organic material taken form the core of Halley's Comet in 1987, seeded into a humanoid form and given sentience: she is THE COMET!

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TheComet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 7:57 am

kenseido wrote:I totally agree with the thinking. In anybody else's hands Cap Shield or Wonder Woman's bracelets are not that super-special. So that should be reflected in the build.

Great analogy! Anyone can pick up Cap's shield and hide behind it for protection, but only he has the skill to bounce it off three walls before hitting his actual target.

I'll take a look at the Weapon Style powers. I don't have the Manga book, but I do have HeroLab with that package installed.

Thanks for the tip!

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Postby TheComet » Fri Oct 04, 2013 9:34 am

I can't seem to find a weapon styles option in HeroLab. I guess that's something I'd have to get the book for.

Ah well! For now, I'll just do the 'gun tricks' as standard APs.

kenseido
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby kenseido » Fri Oct 04, 2013 12:40 pm

Its nothing fancy, just a container and a descriptor. They let you put a Flaw on it for Requires Weapon X. Flaw may be to excessive, depending on how common the weapon is. Really easy to acquire weapons should only be a Drawback.
-----------------------------
Kenseido's Menagerie of Characters

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”