Gaining passengers on Flight and Speed powers

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!
Sea.of.Infinity
Bystander
Bystander

Gaining passengers on Flight and Speed powers

Postby Sea.of.Infinity » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:43 am

I have a question that I think is fairly simple but I can't seem to find it. How do passengers work for powers like flight, swimming , super speed and other movement powers? Teleport give me a good definition of who I can take and how much weight I can port from place to place but no other power does. Is it always just your strength bonus? I thought I saw a feat once that allowed you to grant your power to extra passengers for the purpose of moving with you like taking a group into outer space or underwater.

TheComet
Comrade
Comrade

Re: Gaining passengers on Flight and Speed powers

Postby TheComet » Fri Aug 30, 2013 3:59 am

I always figured that with non-teleport movement powers, you can carry as many people as you can reasonably carry. This isn't the same as carrying capacity, of course, since even though you can lift a ton (approximately 10 people) you couldn't reasonably carry all of them (unless they're in some kind of container or something... GM's ruling there, I guess).

The Affects Others extra struck me as more of a temporary granting of a Personal power to another. If I have Super Speed with Affects Others, anyone I touch also temporarily gains Super Speed.

So, my Flight power may be able to let me carry you into space because I can lift you, but unless I also have Affects Others on my Immunity (life support), you're gonna die once you get there.
Organic material taken form the core of Halley's Comet in 1987, seeded into a humanoid form and given sentience: she is THE COMET!

Doctor Devious
Heavyweight
Heavyweight

Postby Doctor Devious » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:14 am

Similarly to TheComet, once you have a movement power, unless it says otherwise I just treat movement in the air/sea whatever just like I would do for somebody on the ground with no such movement power (though the movement power rank can replace strength where appropriate). So if picking somebody up wouldn't slow you down on the ground, then it won't slow you down in the air; if it would halve your speed on the ground, it's half speed in the air and so on (again, using strength or movement PL as best fits).

Sea.of.Infinity
Bystander
Bystander

Postby Sea.of.Infinity » Fri Aug 30, 2013 5:32 am

Thanks for your response. Those are all great points and make a lot of sense. I was picturing something like a Green Lantern force bubble that would carry others or like how the Silver Surfer has allowed passengers on his board and they seem to gain immunity to space.

I guess Affects Others is the only thing that would grant passengers protection but it seems very expensive for such a relatively limited effect. Maybe a "feature" might provide a cheap alternative passenger ability.

edit
thank you both for your responses. I just looked up Green Lantern and saw how they built his force bubble ranged Affects Other with a radius.

Return to “Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)”