Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Advice for a new build

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!

Moderators: The Mod Squad, The Justice League, M&M Line Developer

Advice for a new build

Postby olaffio » Wed Nov 07, 2012 3:05 pm

Hi!

I'm creating a new character for my campaign that is going to start tomorrow.
That character is a weather controller with limited electrical control power (only the blast power of electrical control and only at a very low rank). His peculiarity is that he wields a "magical" sword that boosts his electrical power; I thought something like that:

Device with Boost (Electrical Control) with Personal flaw and Reaction extra, so the boost acts in reaction to his use of electrical blast: every time he will use Electrical Blast with sword in hand, that blast will be boosted.
According to the rules, what I just wrote, is correct and functional?

If I give the sword also some ranks in Absorption, that can be used only to boost a Ranged Burst Area Damage electrical effect (a power that the character doesn't have) could be a good idea? How can I make the Area Damage effect a power that can only be used the round after the absorption and not the subsequent rounds?

My intention is to create something that boosts an actual power but also create something new that the character normally cannot use.

Any advice or ideas? :D
olaffio
Bystander
Bystander

Re: Advice for a new build

Postby peregrine » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:59 pm

I'd simply give the sword some extra ranks in Electricity Control, to save having to keep track of boosting, fading, using the power again... Let him just put the extra ranks into whatever power he's using. Give the burst area effect an AP on the sword only, so he can't use it when he doesn't have the sword, and you're done.
peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby olaffio » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks! :D

Only a question: does Electrical Control rank in the device is added to the one the player already have, or he uses only the greater between the two? For example, if the character has electrical control 2 and the sword gives him electrical control 6, when he wields the sword, does he reach a rank of 6 or a rank of 8?

Thanx :D
olaffio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby peregrine » Thu Nov 08, 2012 12:44 am

I think the official answer is that you add them, which is what I'd do. Of course, as the GM, it's up to you entirely. It wouldn't be unbalanced to do it like that, certainly.
peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Nov 08, 2012 6:41 am

I'm pretty sure that they sum (except Equipment, of course). Of course, this also means that you have to pay attention to whether a given combination of abilities or Devices could put you over PL.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:11 am

I think one of the second edition source books has a +0 extra called "stacks with" (or something like that).

That may just be something from hero lab though.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:44 am

"stacks with" was just from Hero Lab. Iron Age included some sort of a 1 pp Feat for stacking Strike with Weapons damage, but I personally though that one was ill-advised.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:18 am

FuzzyBoots wrote:"stacks with" was just from Hero Lab. Iron Age included some sort of a 1 pp Feat for stacking Strike with Weapons damage, but I personally though that one was ill-advised.

I thought so: just a mechanical thing to help Hero Lab properly calculate ranks.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby olaffio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:41 am

Thanks guys! :D
olaffio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby olaffio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:27 am

Sorry, just one more thing:

If i give the character blast (electrical) 6 (12 pp) with alternate power strike (slashing) how many ranks should the strike power have? 12 ranks, because it costs 1 pp per rank, or is it possible to limit it to 6 ranks?
olaffio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FuzzyBoots » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:49 am

olaffio wrote:If i give the character blast (electrical) 6 (12 pp) with alternate power strike (slashing) how many ranks should the strike power have? 12 ranks, because it costs 1 pp per rank, or is it possible to limit it to 6 ranks?

You can spend up to 12 pp on the alternate power and give it as many ranks as you desire within limits of PL. If you only want a six rank Strike, you can just spend 6 pp in that array slot for Strike 6. You could spend 12 pp and have Strike 6 [Penetrating]. You could spend 2 pp and pick up Super-Movement (Swinging). ^_^ There's no rule saying that you have to use all of the points in a slot.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Cinder » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:52 am

olaffio wrote:Sorry, just one more thing:

If i give the character blast (electrical) 6 (12 pp) with alternate power strike (slashing) how many ranks should the strike power have? 12 ranks, because it costs 1 pp per rank, or is it possible to limit it to 6 ranks?

You can take only 6 ranks. The Alternate power can cost up to 12 pp.

You needn't leave those points on the table though.

You can make the strike penetrating or some such. Take a look at the extras and see if anything fits your concept.
Cinder
Hero
Hero

Postby olaffio » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:58 am

Thanks again! :D
olaffio
Bystander
Bystander

Postby peregrine » Fri Nov 09, 2012 10:52 pm

Yeah, you can limit the strike to whatever you like, though honestly, if it's just the strike at the same rank as the blast, it's only a waste of points. You can use a blast at melee range in M&M.

Or, like someone said, you can use the other points to provide an extra. Penetrating can work, or alternate save Fort (armor or not, the current will flow through you) would fit.
peregrine
Cohort
Cohort

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)