Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

Demigod advice

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!

Demigod advice

Postby Ash Williams » Tue Sep 11, 2012 5:06 pm

So, I've been reading American Gods, and have recently learned about the RPG Scion. Looking over that game, my group and I have thought about doing a setting with modern-day demigods. We've decided that all of the characters have certain basic traits. We've also decided that if the child is the offspring of one of the leader gods (such as Zeus, Odin, Xiwangmu, etc.), they'd get certain bonuses, as follows:

+2 to Strength and Intelligence, +5 to Charisma
Inspire, Jack of All Trades, Leadership, Master Plan
Choose one: Morph 4 (any form) or Super-Movement 3 (dimensional; Extra: Portal)

I've also thought that children of "elite" gods (i.e., high-ranking gods in their pantheons, like Poseidon, Sun Wukong, Kali, Morrigan, etc.), should get certain bonuses as well. So far, all I can think of is giving them Variable Power 3 (any one power of an X descriptor; Drawback: Full Power; Flaw: Tiring). X, of course, being related to their identity (like Water for Poseidon, or Weather for Thor). Any other suggestions for bonuses?
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Re: Demigod advice

Postby cochramd » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:29 am

When you look into Greek mythology extensively, there are numerous demigods. But even among the offspring of Zeus and Poseidon, very few are actually noted for possessing extraordinary capability and of them only Herakles/Hercules can be said to be superhuman. (Achilles doesn't count, because he is only the son of a nymph and he gained his invulnerability from being dipped in the river Styx) It's a case in many pantheons that most demigods have little actual power but a great deal of political power. This is because many rulers were attributed with divine heritage the same way the monarchs of medieval Europe were attributed with having divine favor. So you were onto something with the charisma bonus and feat choice.

Really, what powers you give to a demigod depend entirely on the deity, the pantheon and which interpretation of them you choose to take. But here's some food for thought:
[*]While most demi-gods don't possess superhuman ability scores, they certainly highly gifted, sometimes the best in their nation, in most of their scores.
[*]Non-superhuman demigods are usually quicker and braver than their mortal counterparts, and are noted for having to overcome powerful enemies with skill and cunning. That means good saves all around and lots of combat feats of all varieties.
[*]Non-superhuman demigods often found themselves possessing magical items, sometimes a gift from their divine family, that helped them on their quests (hello, Devices).
[*]Non-superhuman demigods also received help from their divine family in other ways. There are many ways to represent this, but the easiest two ways are the feats Benefit(divine favor) and Connections.
cochramd
Groupie
Groupie

Re: Demigod advice

Postby Ash Williams » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:04 pm

cochramd wrote:When you look into Greek mythology extensively, there are numerous demigods. But even among the offspring of Zeus and Poseidon, very few are actually noted for possessing extraordinary capability and of them only Herakles/Hercules can be said to be superhuman.

Well, since the setting we're working on is a hybrid of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Clash of the Titans, most of our demigods have low-level superhuman abilities. The basic package that all of them have:

+3 to Constitution or Dexterity
Craft (artistic or structural) 2, Knowledge (history) 1, Languages 1 (god-parent's language)
Diehard, Dodge Focus 2, either Improved Sunder or Precise Shot
Feature 1 (longevity), Super-Senses 7 (danger sense, detect demigods [mental; radius, ranged], magic awareness, normal hearing or sight [extended], Uncanny Dodge), Super-Strength 2 (Alternate Power: Speed 2)

cochramd wrote:Non-superhuman demigods often found themselves possessing magical items, sometimes a gift from their divine family, that helped them on their quests (hello, Devices).

My group already decided to give most of 'em the Weapon Summoning power, or a Device.
Find something to believe in. And find it for yourself. And when you do, pass it on to the future. - Iroquois Pliskin
Ash Williams
Sidekick
Sidekick

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)