Mutants & Masterminds
HQ    ABOUT M&M    SUPER-VISION    GIMMICK'S GADGETS    M&M SUPERLINK    ATOMIC THINK TANK    M&M SHOP
Saving the world, one d20 roll at a time

[Mecha&Manga] Mech-building costs

Discuss the second edition rules of the World's Greatest Superhero Roleplaying Game. Check here before posting in the Official Rules Forum, someone might just know the answer already!

[Mecha&Manga] Mech-building costs

Postby Subumloc » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:57 am

Hi everyone! Long-time lurker, first-time poster. I have a bit of a noobish question about the costs for building Mecha in Mecha&Manga.

So, I understand that mecha are supposed to be built as Devices/equipment. Let's go with devices for my question. Generally speaking, Device means that for each rank (costing 3/4 points) I get 5 points to spend on powers and stuff, that in this case are called "mecha points".

The table on page 61 says that base systems cost 1 [mecha point] per rank and complementary systems cost 1 [MP] per 5 ranks. Then, on the listing of traits, each one gets a specific cost in points. Assuming that these two thing don't contradict, this should mean that, let's say, Escape Thrusters (complementary, 5 points, pag. 65) require the expenditure of 1 mecha point.

Looking at the examples in the chapter, my impression is that this way complementary systems are a bit underpriced - especially for things like sensors and comms later in the chapter. Even if this is intended, it's not in line with the "regular" Device power. This is not to make a balance issue - I'm ok with this, but since we're going to start a game soon, I want to be sure that I have everìything clear.

Am I missing something?
Subumloc
Bystander
Bystander

Re: [Mecha&Manga] Mech-building costs

Postby FuzzyBoots » Tue Sep 04, 2012 8:28 pm

I think you're pretty clear on it. Mecha as Devices cost 4 pp per 5 as per the idea of them being "hard to lose", only removeable when the pilot is unconscious rather than as a Disarm action. Complementary systems are indeed rather cheap for what they offer. The idea is that those features are things that are of limited use in typical use, or which are just so commonplace that they get a discount.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Postby Subumloc » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:44 am

Thank you. Another question: I intend to use the tiered campaign suggestion in the book. Basically, the human characters are going to be PL5, the mecha PL10. How should we handle attack/defense bonuses in the higher tier? I mean, can I buy 3 points of attack bonus for the mech; and if so, should it be priced normally?
Subumloc
Bystander
Bystander

Postby FuzzyBoots » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:56 am

Subumloc wrote:Thank you. Another question: I intend to use the tiered campaign suggestion in the book. Basically, the human characters are going to be PL5, the mecha PL10. How should we handle attack/defense bonuses in the higher tier? I mean, can I buy 3 points of attack bonus for the mech; and if so, should it be priced normally?

Yes, you can buy attack bonus whether straight up or as feats for the mecha. If you put it inside the mecha, you get the discount for it being a device because it's not your skill, but rather superior construction (which means that if you need to hop into a different cockpit, you may be under caps due to it being less capable). If everyone in your universe is just suddenly more competent when in a mecha (to create a more universal shift of PL when moving from one to the other), just establish that players have to spend X points in their PL 10 version with the mecha on improved attack bonuses.

Honestly, in a "tiered" campaign where there's two separate established PLs, it sometimes makes more sense to just build them separately and switch from one character sheet to the other instead of sitting down and figuring out which abilities are only in the PL-X and which in the PL-Y builds, and how conditional those abilities are.
FuzzyBoots
Cosmic Entity
Cosmic Entity

Return to Mutants & Masterminds Rules (Second Edition)